* [Caml-list] mod_caml Makefile
@ 2004-04-15 22:46 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-04-15 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello--

There seem to be some problems with the Makefile for mod_caml 1.1.6. The
big one is this:

  mod_caml.so: mod_caml_c.o mod_caml.cmo apache_c.o wrappers.o $(ALL_CMOS)
      $(OCAMLC) -linkall -custom $(OCAMLCFLAGS) $(ALL_CMAS) $^ -o $@ \
            -cclib "-fPIC -shared $(OCAMLLIBS)"

Unless there is some really advanced wizardry going on, I don't see how
this could possibly work. Note also that there is no rule for building
apache_c.o.

Also, the following is problematic:

  OCAMLCINCS := -I $(PCRELIBDIR) -I $(DBILIBDIR) -I $(APACHEINCDIR)

Ocamlc complains that it doesn't know what to do with
/usr/include/apache-1.3.

Is there a straightforward solution to this, or should I try an earlier
version or wait for the next release (coming soon?)?

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: [Caml-list] mod_caml Makefile
@ 2004-04-16  8:11 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-04-16  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 04:46:57PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hello--
>
> There seem to be some problems with the Makefile for mod_caml 1.1.6. The
> big one is this:
>
>   mod_caml.so: mod_caml_c.o mod_caml.cmo apache_c.o wrappers.o $(ALL_CMOS)
>       $(OCAMLC) -linkall -custom $(OCAMLCFLAGS) $(ALL_CMAS) $^ -o $@ \
>             -cclib "-fPIC -shared $(OCAMLLIBS)"
>
> Unless there is some really advanced wizardry going on, I don't see how
> this could possibly work. Note also that there is no rule for building
> apache_c.o.
>
> Also, the following is problematic:
>
>   OCAMLCINCS := -I $(PCRELIBDIR) -I $(DBILIBDIR) -I $(APACHEINCDIR)
>
> Ocamlc complains that it doesn't know what to do with
> /usr/include/apache-1.3.
>
> Is there a straightforward solution to this, or should I try an earlier
> version or wait for the next release (coming soon?)?

The current CVS version is the one I'm using across all my sites.  It
certainly 'Works For Me'.  Can you give me some specific error
messages?

Rich.

http://www.winwinsales.co.uk/ - CRM improvement consultancy

* Re: [Caml-list] mod_caml Makefile
@ 2004-04-16 16:25   ` Ranjan Bagchi
From: Ranjan Bagchi @ 2004-04-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

I just checked and on my debian box (mostly using testing), it works fine
for me as well.

Ranjan

@ 2004-04-16 16:49     ` Matt Gushee
       [not found]       ` <Pine.LNX.4.58.0404161000290.14222@manjula.frotz.bogus>
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-04-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:25:16AM -0700, Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> I just checked and on my debian box (mostly using testing), it works fine
> for me as well.

"It" being which version? Do you mean 1.1.6, or the CVS code, or
something else?

If it's 1.1.6, that's odd. Are you running OCaml 3.07pl2, and if so did
you compile it from source, or install a binary package?

@ 2004-04-16 16:49     ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-04-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:25:16AM -0700, Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> I just checked and on my debian box (mostly using testing), it works fine
> for me as well.

Yup - I've just done another build of mod_caml (added callouts to the
templating library, woo!), and it works fine.

Rich.

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because I have been
standing in the footprints of giants.  -- from Usenet

* Re: [Caml-list] mod_caml Makefile
@ 2004-04-16 16:53       ` Richard Jones
       [not found]       ` <Pine.LNX.4.58.0404161000290.14222@manjula.frotz.bogus>
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-04-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:49:03AM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:25:16AM -0700, Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> > I just checked and on my debian box (mostly using testing), it works fine
> > for me as well.
>
> "It" being which version? Do you mean 1.1.6, or the CVS code, or
> something else?

I'm using the CVS version (obviously).  Can you post the output of
'make clean; make' verbatim?

Rich.

http://www.YouUnlimited.co.uk/ - management courses

@ 2004-04-16 17:12         ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-04-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:00:45AM -0700, Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> 1.1.6.  I needed to make an install the dbi stuff beforehand, though.

Hmmm ... well, I have DBI installed on one box and not on the other. You
say you needed to install it. Does that mean you tried to install
mod_caml without DBI and got an error?

I'm still interested to know the origin of your OCaml distribution.
Though I've installed various packages and not had problems like this,
I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my ocamlc.

@ 2004-04-16 17:17           ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-04-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:12:06AM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:00:45AM -0700, Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> > 1.1.6.  I needed to make an install the dbi stuff beforehand, though.
>
> Hmmm ... well, I have DBI installed on one box and not on the other. You
> say you needed to install it. Does that mean you tried to install
> mod_caml without DBI and got an error?

I have a suspicion that Dbi is required, else you'll have to do some
hacking away at Apache.DbiPool.  Even a minimal Dbi with no drivers
added should work.

Another reason why having #ifdef's would be useful ...

Rich.

'There is a joke about American engineers and French engineers. The
American team brings a prototype to the French team. The French team's
response is: "Well, it works fine in practice; but how will it hold up
in theory?"'

* [Caml-list] Conditional Compilation (was mod_caml Makefile)
@ 2004-04-16 17:27             ` Kenneth Knowles
From: Kenneth Knowles @ 2004-04-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:17:08PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Another reason why having #ifdef's would be useful ...
>
> Rich.

Conditional compilation... I've mulled this over a bit, anyone want to chat
about it?

I've seen using the C pre-processor, but that seems pretty crufty.  My approach
has been to conditionally include different source files with just the code that
has to change, but that sometimes makes a weird module layout.  Also, OCamlConf
has an untested ability to generate really short "config.ml", but this is pretty
ugly too.

Could MetaOCaml help? (I don't know exactly how much compile-time computation it
can do; never used it)
Any other ideas?

Kenn

* Re: [Caml-list] Conditional Compilation (was mod_caml Makefile)
@ 2004-04-16 18:32               ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-04-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Knowles; +Cc: Richard Jones, caml-list

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 03:27, Kenneth Knowles wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:17:08PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Another reason why having #ifdef's would be useful ...
> >
> > Rich.
>
> Conditional compilation... I've mulled this over a bit, anyone want to chat
> about it?

camlp4 has conditional compilation.. and lots more :D
but it only works with Ocaml ..

In general the answer is the same as I keep giving:
if you have a general purpose language and use it
as a code generator, the very notion of 'conditional
compilation' as some kind of special feature makes
you roll on the floor laughing.

Its a programming language, of course it has
conditionals!

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia

* Re: [Caml-list] Conditional Compilation (was mod_caml Makefile)
@ 2004-04-16 18:51                 ` Kenneth Knowles
From: Kenneth Knowles @ 2004-04-16 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: Richard Jones, caml-list

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:32:25AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> camlp4 has conditional compilation.. and lots more :D
> but it only works with Ocaml ..

Oh, cool, I'm not really hip to camlp4.

> In general the answer is the same as I keep giving:
> if you have a general purpose language and use it
> as a code generator, the very notion of 'conditional
> compilation' as some kind of special feature makes
> you roll on the floor laughing.
> Its a programming language, of course it has
> conditionals!

Well, right.  A build-time script, whether python, O'Caml, or whatever can
generate code (or generate another program to generate another program to
generate code), but that's no fun.  I'd much prefer a mini language that takes
valid O'Caml in and is guaranteed to spit valid O'Caml out.  I suspect camlp4 is
what I want.

If I really needed a code-generator I'm always free to use my configure script
to do it, that is just a relatively feature-bare and unsafe approach.

@ 2004-04-16 20:37                   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-04-16 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Knowles; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 04:51, Kenneth Knowles wrote:

>  I suspect camlp4 is what I want.

It handles a wide class of syntactic problems.

> If I really needed a code-generator I'm always free to use my configure script
> to do it, that is just a relatively feature-bare and unsafe approach.

That depends on whether your configure script is bash,
Perl, Python, or perhaps interscript.

one problem with the autoconf approach which most
such systems share is that they have this idea
of a template and filling in the holes with
configuration data.

Interscript *inverts* that idea. It is entirely
different. Generating code isn't a special thing
you do for parts of your program you need to
depend on the environment -- its universal.
Everything is generated from the original sources.

Instead, there is a default generation function:
the identity 'copy this line of text', and instead
of 'copying a template and filling in the holes'
with an external program .. you put the code generation
codes directly in the input where the holes are.

>From this perspective, generating code is anything
but "feature bare", contrarily it is both
pervasive and universally powerful.

The 'raw text' approach of interscript is definitely
unsafe -- partly because it is universally powerful.

My suggestion is: by using Ocaml as the scripting
language instead of Python, a good deal of safety
can be restored. Static checking your build process
can't be bad .. nor can higher order functions etc ..

BTW: here is another thought: lazy evaluation.
Seems applicable to building things ..

@ 2004-04-17  0:39               ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2004-04-17  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:27:26AM -0700, Kenneth Knowles wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:17:08PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Another reason why having #ifdef's would be useful ...
> >
> > Rich.
>
> Conditional compilation... I've mulled this over a bit, anyone want to chat
> about it?

On a related note, do either of the ocaml compilers do any dead code
elimination?

Things like not emitting any instructions for the else branch of

let foo = true in
 if foo then do_something else do_something_different

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Conditional Compilation (was mod_caml Makefile)
@ 2004-04-17  8:46                 ` Martin Jambon
From: Martin Jambon @ 2004-04-17  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Wagner; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Shawn Wagner wrote:

> On a related note, do either of the ocaml compilers do any dead code
> elimination?
>
> Things like not emitting any instructions for the else branch of
>
> let foo = true in
>  if foo then do_something else do_something_different

ocamlopt at least. Try ocamlopt -S.

Martin