* [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
@ 2004-04-23  8:51 H. Peter Gumm
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: H. Peter Gumm @ 2004-04-23  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

how am I supposed do do OCaML program development under Windows ?

I have tried

 - the OCaml Workspace that came with 3.07, but it is so buggy, it
   doesn't even handle copy/paste correctly.

 - Ultraedit, but none of the executable programs in the /bin directory
    allow me to do get the interactive behaviour from the workspace.

I recall that Caml-Light had some usable interface -- is this
available for OCaML ?

Please don't advise me to use emacs, I'd rather switch languages ...

Peter Gumm

| Prof. Dr. H. Peter Gumm               |
| FB Mathematik und Informatik          |
| Philipps-Universität Marburg          |
| Tel: (+49)-(0)6421-2821516 (office)   |
|      (+49)-(0)6425-6334    (home)     |

* Re: [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
@ 2004-04-23  9:18 ` Wolfgang Müller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Müller @ 2004-04-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gumm, caml-list

On Friday 23 April 2004 10:51, H. Peter Gumm wrote:
> Please don't advise me to use emacs, I'd rather switch languages ...

In fact, I find tuareg (the OCaml style under XEmacs) truly amazing. And if
you use XEmacs under windows, you have about all the key shortcuts also as
menu points. What do you find so offputting in XEmacs?

I know you're Prof. and things have to go fast if you want to squeeze in a
little programming, but I find tuareg is definitely worth it.

Regards,
Wolfgang Müller

* Re: [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
@ 2004-04-23  9:27 ` Jacques GARRIGUE
From: Jacques GARRIGUE @ 2004-04-23  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gumm; +Cc: caml-list

> how am I supposed do do OCaML program development under Windows ?
>
> I have tried
>
>  - the OCaml Workspace that came with 3.07, but it is so buggy, it
>    doesn't even handle copy/paste correctly.
>
>  - Ultraedit, but none of the executable programs in the /bin directory
>     allow me to do get the interactive behaviour from the workspace.
>
> I recall that Caml-Light had some usable interface -- is this
> available for OCaML ?
>
> Please don't advise me to use emacs, I'd rather switch languages ...

You can try ocamlbrowser, it comes with both a shell and an editor.
The only difficulty is to find the right version of Tcl/Tk on the
internet. (I believe it is still compiled for Tcl/Tk8.3, but I hope to
be wrong.)

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
@ 2004-04-23 11:15 ` Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2004-04-23 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gumm; +Cc: Caml List

I've never used it, so I can't say much about it's quality or ease of
use, but there is a Visual Studio plug in:

http://tech.motion-twin.com/visual-ml

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 04:51, H. Peter Gumm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how am I supposed do do OCaML program development under Windows ?
>
> I have tried
>
>  - the OCaml Workspace that came with 3.07, but it is so buggy, it
>    doesn't even handle copy/paste correctly.
>
>  - Ultraedit, but none of the executable programs in the /bin directory
>     allow me to do get the interactive behaviour from the workspace.
>
> I recall that Caml-Light had some usable interface -- is this
> available for OCaML ?
>
> Please don't advise me to use emacs, I'd rather switch languages ...
>
> Peter Gumm
>

> +---------------------------------------+
> | Prof. Dr. H. Peter Gumm               |
> | FB Mathematik und Informatik          |
> | Philipps-Universität Marburg          |
> | Tel: (+49)-(0)6421-2821516 (office)   |
> |      (+49)-(0)6425-6334    (home)     |
|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

* Re: [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-23 13:30 ` Yamagata Yoriyuki
From: Yamagata Yoriyuki @ 2004-04-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gumm; +Cc: caml-list

I have not used it, but there is an editor for SML and OCaml on
Windows called MLEdit.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sasagawa/MLEdit/english/home.html
--
Yamagata Yoriyuki

* Re: [Caml-list] CaML usage under Windows XP
@ 2004-04-24  8:09   ` gumm
From: gumm @ 2004-04-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yamagata Yoriyuki; +Cc: caml-list

Thanks for your hint. I tried the editor. It is very simple, but it
works. Never mind that
context menus are for the japanese version of Windows but otherwise the
functionality
is basic and as one would expect. One can do simple things...

I doubt though, that this environment will impress my students  - let
alone make them believe
that ML is more than a game for nerds. A few years ago I used Clean in
the same course I
am teaching now. What a nice system. Take a look at
http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/

H.Peter Gumm