* [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] : YaM
@ 2004-04-22  7:02 Damien
From: Damien @ 2004-04-22  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

YaM 1.0 initial release,

another OCaml build system...
[please don't use it to feed the GODI vs. Make vs. Glou debate]

YaM is a single module, for writing OCaml code builders with :
 * really fine dependency analysis :
	- file digest
	- compilation command digest
	- cmi/cmo/cmx intelligent handling
 * fine compilation flags tuning
 * support for "-pack"
 * "OCaml self-containment"

but..
 * no support for CamlIdl, CamlReport, Zoggy
 * not as generic as Make / OCamlMakefile / Ocamake

Homepage :
<http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/damien.pous/shared/ocaml/YaM/>

damien

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] : YaM
@ 2004-04-23 23:56 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2004-04-23 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Damien wrote:
> YaM 1.0 initial release,
>
> another OCaml build system...
> [please don't use it to feed the GODI vs. Make vs. Glou debate]
>
> YaM is a single module, for writing OCaml code builders with :
>  * really fine dependency analysis :
> 	- file digest
> 	- compilation command digest
> 	- cmi/cmo/cmx intelligent handling
>  * fine compilation flags tuning
>  * support for "-pack"
>  * "OCaml self-containment"
>
> but..
>  * no support for CamlIdl, CamlReport, Zoggy
>  * not as generic as Make / OCamlMakefile / Ocamake

Have you also already taken a look at "omake"? -

  http://mojave.caltech.edu/download.html

It also features file digests, compilation command digests, etc., but
can do this in the general case, i.e. is very similar to "make".

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl          http://www.oefai.at/~markus          markus@oefai.at

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] : YaM
@ 2004-04-24 10:44   ` Damien
From: Damien @ 2004-04-24 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:56:43 +0200 Markus Mottl wrote:

>>  * not as generic as Make / OCamlMakefile / Ocamake
> Have you also already taken a look at "omake"? -
>   http://mojave.caltech.edu/download.html
sorry, I meant omake instead of ocamake...

when omake were "announced", I found it really impressive :
<http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200311/msg00437.html>

however I run into problems because of my need for "-pack" support.
(the solution given by Aleksey Nogin was not enough for me)

since I had not enough time to go trough its not so small source code,
I decided to write a much simpler one by myself, with some ideas from
omake, but fitted to my needs...

> It also features file digests, compilation command digests, etc., but
> can do this in the general case, i.e. is very similar to "make".

I didn't checked back, but it seems to me that omake does not feature
"compilation command digests" :

if you change the makefile (switch a debug flag for some files...)
 - with omake/make... : make clean all
 - with YaM : ./YaM (compiles only affected files + link phases)

however the major improvements against omake are
 - better native/bytecode interaction : no Makefile to edit in order to
switch,
 - fine -pack support
(but I tend  to believe I'm the only one finding -pack useful...)

regards,
damien

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] : YaM
@ 2004-04-24 12:56     ` Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2004-04-24 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien; +Cc: caml-list

Damien said:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:56:43 +0200 Markus Mottl wrote:
>
>> It also features file digests, compilation command digests, etc., but
>> can do this in the general case, i.e. is very similar to "make".
>
> I didn't checked back, but it seems to me that omake does not feature
> "compilation command digests" :
>
> if you change the makefile (switch a debug flag for some files...)
>  - with omake/make... : make clean all
>  - with YaM : ./YaM (compiles only affected files + link phases)

omake has the right behavior.  If the command changes, then the affected
targets are rebuilt.  It's actually an amazingly cool feature.  No more
wondering if my system is up to date after modifying the makefile!

> however the major improvements against omake are
>  - better native/bytecode interaction : no Makefile to edit in order to
> switch,
>  - fine -pack support
> (but I tend  to believe I'm the only one finding -pack useful...)

I wonder if -pack support could be added by modifying OMakeroot.  One of
the things I like about omake is that it isn't ocaml-specific -- instead
it's a well thought-out general-purpose solution.  It's not complete yet,
but my experience with it has been quite good.