From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml development site
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 12:06:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:44:19PM +0200, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:
> * Are you interested that such a site provides some documentation to
>   help you package your software?  (To GODI and Debian maintainers:
>   would you be willing to contribute to it?)

I don't see the point in setting up just another *forge, plenty of them
have been already mentioned in this thread. I thus think that the
interesting part of this project is the ocaml specific part and IMO that
part can't be only "let's collect all ocaml related projects/library on
a single server".

 From your post I still don't see which ocaml specific features are you
going to develop as a part of the infrastructure you're proposing.
Still, as a debian developer, I think that a crucial one will be a
common dependency handling between programs and libraries shared by all
the underlaying package management system (RPM, DEB, GODI, ...).

I'm not yet familiar with GODI, but I've in mind to look at it to see if
debian packages could be genered from GODI description or the other way
round. It would be great if, as a part of your infrastructure, we can
manage to develop some package description format (maybe those of
GODIVA? don't know), from which all different "spec" files could be
generated. This is a part of the project in which I, and probably the
other ocaml involved debian developer are interested to partecipate in.

Cheers.