* [Caml-list] x-windows screensaver in OCaml
@ 2004-05-12  3:20 Brock
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brock @ 2004-05-12  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

So one of these days I'd like to write a screensaver in OCaml for
xscreensaver, which means drawing on X's root window. Any suggestions
for a super-simple way to do this? The primitives in the built-in
Graphics module are plenty for my needs, I just don't know how make it
appear on the root window.

Thanks,
--Brock

* Re: [Caml-list] x-windows screensaver in OCaml
@ 2004-05-13 20:42 ` Evan Martin
From: Evan Martin @ 2004-05-13 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brock; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:20:44PM -0400, Brock wrote:
> So one of these days I'd like to write a screensaver in OCaml for
> xscreensaver, which means drawing on X's root window. Any suggestions
> for a super-simple way to do this? The primitives in the built-in
> Graphics module are plenty for my needs, I just don't know how make it
> appear on the root window.

(I'd suggest beginning with reading the source to some existing
xscreensaver hacks*.)

* hacks = xscreensaver term for the individual screensavers

--
Evan Martin
martine@danga.com

* Re: [Caml-list] x-windows screensaver in OCaml
@ 2004-05-13 22:53 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2004-05-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 04:20, Brock wrote:
> So one of these days I'd like to write a screensaver in OCaml for
> xscreensaver, which means drawing on X's root window. Any suggestions
> for a super-simple way to do this? The primitives in the built-in
> Graphics module are plenty for my needs, I just don't know how make it
> appear on the root window.

I'd suggest trying to replace the functionality of one of the existing OpenGL
screensavers with your own code.

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] x-windows screensaver in OCaml
@ 2004-05-14 14:47   ` Brock
From: Brock @ 2004-05-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 2004.05.13.23.53, Jon Harrop wrote:
| On Wednesday 12 May 2004 04:20, Brock wrote:
| > So one of these days I'd like to write a screensaver in OCaml for
| > xscreensaver, which means drawing on X's root window. Any suggestions
| > for a super-simple way to do this? The primitives in the built-in
| > Graphics module are plenty for my needs, I just don't know how make it
| > appear on the root window.
|
| I'd suggest trying to replace the functionality of one of the existing OpenGL
| screensavers with your own code.
|
| Cheers,
| Jon.

You know of some OpenGL screensavers in OCaml by chance?

So far it looks like I'm going to have to do some of my own C bindings.

@ 2004-05-14 23:00 ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2004-05-14 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:20:44PM -0400, Brock wrote:

> So one of these days I'd like to write a screensaver in OCaml for
> xscreensaver, which means drawing on X's root window. Any suggestions
> for a super-simple way to do this? The primitives in the built-in
> Graphics module are plenty for my needs, I just don't know how make it
> appear on the root window.

I think there's a library for using the Xlib API available that might work
for this.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org