* [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-13 14:30 Claudio Trento
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Claudio Trento @ 2004-05-13 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I`ve included the line "open Num" at the begin of my test.ml file  to use
the Num module. Maybe it's not enough because I've this type of error in
cmpilation:

"Error while linking test.cmo: Reference to undefined global `Num'"

Probably I forget something, someone could say me where I mistake?

Thanks,
Claudio

* Re: [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-13 15:14 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-05-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudio Trento; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:30:19PM +0200, Claudio Trento wrote:
> I`ve included the line "open Num" at the begin of my test.ml file  to use
> the Num module. Maybe it's not enough because I've this type of error in
> cmpilation:
>
> "Error while linking test.cmo: Reference to undefined global `Num'"
>
> Probably I forget something, someone could say me where I mistake?

Is there a file called 'num.cma' or 'num.cmxa' in your /usr/lib/ocaml/
directory?  You probably need to link with it.

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/

* [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-13 15:39 ` briand
From: briand @ 2004-05-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudio Trento; +Cc: caml-list

It's in the manual (just for future reference).

If you are using a system which supports dynamic linking you can just do

    #load "num.cma";;

if you are using windows which does not support dynamic linking you will
have to compile.

    ocamlc other_options num.cma other_files

Or make your own top-level which includes num:

    ocamlmktop -o mytop num.cma
    ./mytop

Brian

P.S. In the manual it actually lists the filename as "nums" not "num".
Is this a documentation bug ?

@ 2004-05-14  8:26 ` Virgile Prevosto
From: Virgile Prevosto @ 2004-05-14  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudio Trento; +Cc: caml-list

Le jeudi 13 mai, à 16h30 +0200,
Claudio Trento a écrit:

> I`ve included the line "open Num" at the begin of my test.ml file  to
> use the Num module. Maybe it's not enough because I've this type of
> error in cmpilation:
>
> "Error while linking test.cmo: Reference to undefined global `Num'"
>
> Probably I forget something, someone could say me where I mistake?

Hello,
I suppose you're talking about the Num library described in the ocaml
manual at <http://pauillac.inria.fr/ocaml/htmlman/manual036.html>. As
mentionned there, you have to add nums.cma to the command line for the
linking phase. This is not needed for the compilation itself (-c option
of the compiler):
ocamlc -c test.ml
ocamlc nums.cma test.cmo
should work (you may have to add other .cm[o/a] files on the second
line depending on what's in test of course).
In addition, note that there is a subtle difference between the name of
the file providing the library (nums.cma), and one of the module of this
library (Num, without 's').
Hope this helps,
--
E tutto per oggi, a la prossima volta
Virgile

* Re: [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-15  6:00   ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2004-05-15  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:39:43AM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> P.S. In the manual it actually lists the filename as "nums" not "num".
> Is this a documentation bug ?

No -- `nums.cma' is the name of the library file.  It contains several
modules: Num, Big_int, Ratio... (others?  I'm not sure how to analyze a
.cma file to see what it contains other than by trial and error...)

cheers,
William

* Re: [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-15  6:20     ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2004-05-15  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:00:03AM -0400, William Lovas wrote:

> No -- `nums.cma' is the name of the library file.  It contains several
> modules: Num, Big_int, Ratio... (others?  I'm not sure how to analyze a
> .cma file to see what it contains other than by trial and error...)

Though it's not normally built in a standard ocaml install, there's a
program called objinfo that will display information about bytecode files,
including a list of every module in a .cma file. Run 'make objinfo' in
OCAML-SOURCE/tools/ to compile it.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Porblem with Num module
@ 2004-05-15 10:02       ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-05-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:20:01PM -0700, Shawn Wagner wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:00:03AM -0400, William Lovas wrote:
>
> > No -- `nums.cma' is the name of the library file.  It contains several
> > modules: Num, Big_int, Ratio... (others?  I'm not sure how to analyze a
> > .cma file to see what it contains other than by trial and error...)
>
> Though it's not normally built in a standard ocaml install, there's a
> program called objinfo that will display information about bytecode files,
> including a list of every module in a .cma file. Run 'make objinfo' in
> OCAML-SOURCE/tools/ to compile it.

If you're using Debian, then program should be installed and called
'ocamlobjinfo'.  It's very useful - should be installed by default
everywhere I think.

Rich.

C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,
trees, string funcs, pool allocator: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/