* [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml fileutils v0.2.1
@ 2004-05-20 17:06 Sylvain LE GALL
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-05-20 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I have been working for some times on a collection of utils to
manipulate files following some UNIX convention. I provide for now those
function :
- cp : copy
- mv : move/rename
- ls : list ( pretty dummy )
- find : find a set of file according to a predicate ( is directory, is
  readable... )
- rm : delete file/directory ( can prompt, can delete children )
- mkdir : create a directory ( and optionnaly it's parent )
- test : do some test regarding a file ( is directory... )
- touch : update the mtime of a file
- which : find an exec in a path

This module is FileUtil

All those function are based for now on the Unix module or the core
ocaml ( mostly Sys ). There is no C stub at all.

I provide by the same way a library for manipulating filename. It allows
to compute some intersting things :
- make_relative : make a path relative to a root path
- make_absolute : make an absolute path out of a relative path and a
  root
- compare : hierachical + lexicographic order
- reduce : remove any a/../b, a/./b ...

This module is FilePath

FilePath is abstract and doesn't need to have a real filesystem*.
FileUtil rely on the existence of a filesystem.

Theorically it should be platform independent ( FilePath comes with four
parser/lexer for each platform supported by ocaml : MacOS, Win32,
Cygwin, Unix ). This should also imply that FileUtil is platform
independent ( but it needs to be tested ).

You can find the source and documentation here :
http://www.carva.org/sylvain.le-gall/ocaml-fileutils.html
http://sylvain.le-gall.net/ocaml-fileutils.html

( webpages are in french, but documentation is in english -- sorry )

Don't hesitate to send any feedback/recommendation/bugs.

Kind regard
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml fileutils v0.2.1
@ 2004-05-20 17:35 ` Eric Stokes
From: Eric Stokes @ 2004-05-20 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: caml-list

Sounds great!

@ 2004-05-20 17:47 ` Karl Zilles
From: Karl Zilles @ 2004-05-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: caml-list

Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> All those function are based for now on the Unix module or the core
> ocaml ( mostly Sys ). There is no C stub at all.

Hi, looks good.  Do they work under windows?

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml fileutils v0.2.1
@ 2004-05-20 18:07   ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-05-20 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Zilles; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:47:43AM -0700, Karl Zilles wrote:
> Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> >All those function are based for now on the Unix module or the core
> >ocaml ( mostly Sys ). There is no C stub at all.
>
> Hi, looks good.  Do they work under windows?

Hello,

Well to be sincere, i don't have tested it : i don't have win32 at hand.
However, i try to build the library with windows compatibility in mind.

If you have time to test it under windows ( there is a test/ directory
containing all the required test to be sure it works ).

I also need some scripts/things to make it compile on win32... I am not
very fresh regarding ocaml on win32 ( i have never try in fact ).

If you perform the test, could you drop me a mail so i can do
correction ? ( i don't think this should be necessary, but there is
maybe some errors(c) ! ;-) )

@ 2004-05-21 14:10 ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2004-05-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

PERFECT!  This will be a perfect compliment to Cash.

(Debianers: is anyone packaging this new tool?)

@ 2004-05-21 18:24   ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-05-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Goerzen; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:10:39AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> PERFECT!  This will be a perfect compliment to Cash.
>
> (Debianers: is anyone packaging this new tool?)

Hello,

Do you mean cash ( i was thinking there was an ITP on this by you ), or
ocaml-fileutils ?

If it is ocaml-fileutils, let me do it my self, since i am a debianners
! ( at least i have some package on the debian ocaml task force ).
Moreover, i have a debian/ for this library.

@ 2004-05-21 19:56     ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2004-05-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:24:48PM +0200, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:10:39AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > PERFECT!  This will be a perfect compliment to Cash.
> >
> > (Debianers: is anyone packaging this new tool?)
>
> Do you mean cash ( i was thinking there was an ITP on this by you ), or
> ocaml-fileutils ?

I meant ocaml-fileutils.  I have, in fact, already uploaded cash to
Debian.

> If it is ocaml-fileutils, let me do it my self, since i am a debianners
> ! ( at least i have some package on the debian ocaml task force ).
> Moreover, i have a debian/ for this library.

Excellent!

Thanks,
John