From: dido@imperium.ph
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] handling forward references in a compiler
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:52:13 +0800	[thread overview]

I'm writing a compiler for a language that allows undeclared forward
references in OCaml, and I'm just wondering how one is supposed to
handle these sorts of things without resorting to imperative features or
multiple passes.  Using imperative features, I'd be able to create a
hash table of forward referenced symbols, containing lists of locations
where these forward referenced symbols occur, and when the forward
referenced symbol is finally declared, look for it in the hash table and
resolve all the forward references there and then.  But this requires
that I put a temporary value in the intermediate representation that can
be changed later.  Another option is to make a second pass through the
generated intermediate representation, and fixing up the forward
references after all of the declarations have been processed, but this
seems like a second traversal that can be avoided.

Anyone have any better ideas?