From: Xavier Leroy <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] AIX port of ocamlopt
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:10:10 +0200	[thread overview]

We are considering deprecating the native-code generator (ocamlopt)
for IBM's AIX operating system running on the Power and PowerPC processors.
If there are users for whom AIX ocamlopt support is crucial, please
drop me a note.

Some more background on this proposal:  the AIX port is no longer regularly
updated and tested by lack of access to an AIX machine.  We've had
problems with this port in the past due to incompatible changes in the
signal API between versions of AIX.  Moreover, removing the AIX port
would bring welcome simplifications to the PowerPC-specific parts of
ocamlopt and make it easier to work on the PowerPC/MacOSX and PowerPC/Linux
ports of ocamlopt, which we are committed to support.

So, let me know privately if this deprecation would be a major problem
for you.

- Xavier Leroy