* [Caml-list] mod_caml's bytecode restriction due to Apache or just CGI dyn'linking?
@ 2004-06-20 21:38 James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2004-06-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Richard et al,

I had a question about mod_caml's design.  I understand from the web
page that confining CGIs to bytecode isn't particularly onereous.  The
argument that most of the overhead is in talking with the db makes
perfect sense.

Yet for some applications, native would be useful.  For example, for
read-only data that changes only a few times a day, one can pack it in
Ocaml hash tables and get high perfomance queries right in Ocaml.  In
such a setup where Ocaml handles both the page layout *and* the
functionality of a db, native code looks a lot more attractive.

So... Is the limitation to use bytecode due to the desire to support
*dynamic* linking of CGIs or for other reasons?  If only the former,
then could one simply forgo this feature and *statically* link all the
natively compiled CGIs together with the mod_caml glue to make a
library that gets delivered to Apache?  If the price is that I have to
restart Apache when changing my CGIs I would be willing to pay it.

Kind regards,
-James