* [Caml-list] Parse crazy HTML, output XML
@ 2004-06-21 16:03 Richard Jones
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-06-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have a bunch of HTML documents from an external source which I do
not control.  They aren't valid XML, by any means.  I need to read
them in, do a "best effort" to build a DOM, do various manipulations
over the DOM (such as removing <script> tags, replace <B> with
<strong>, etc.), and output an XHTML fragment.  I also need to do this
from an OCaml program.

Example input:

---
This is <B>the sort of document</B> which I have to parse.<br>
---

Desired output:

---
This is <strong>the sort of document</strong> which I have to parse.
---

The problem is the parsing phase.  Both PXP and XmlLight will only
parse valid XML (as far as I can see).  Is there any simple pure OCaml
library for parsing HTML and producing a DOM?

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/