From: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
To: fmonnier@linux-nantes.fr.eu.org (Florent Monnier)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr, pierre.weis@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:29:53 +0200 (MET DST)	[thread overview]

> > You should consider trying camlimages, and perhaps contribute to its
> > development, if you need something that is not already available ...
> >
> > http://pauillac.inria.fr/camlimages/
>

> With ImageMagick we can nearly go as far than with Gimp
> (except the fact that IM have no GUI).
> Check this to see all the image manipulations IM provides :
> http://www.imagemagick.org/www/perl.html

OK, OK!

In your original message you said:

 > I would like to write a simple image manipulation program,

that's why I supposed Camlimages could be useful. If you had written
``I would like to write an image manipulation program that can nearly
go as far than with Gimp'', I would had said nothing (except good luck
to you).

> Perhaps I am wrong, but
> Camlimages does not seem to provide so much possibilities,
> it seems to be closer to GD than to ImageMagick.
> And ImageMagick is closer to Gimp, than to GD :)

I don't know GD. Camlimages is a simple image manipulation library
that is powerful enough to help Active-DVI to work (Active-DVI is a
graphic presenter for talks written in LaTeX) and has proved useful to
create artistic things.

> As I am graphist and not informatician, i will perhaps not have the skills to
> make the implementation of the image manipulation program of my dreams
> but I will try though ;-)
>
> So that's why I prefer to get the more powerful library I can ...

Funny, funny indeed. You know what ? Camlimages was born just because
we could not do the ``simple image manipulations'' you mentioned using
any tool we could find on any platform (including ImageMagick, The
Gimp, Photoshop and other artist specific tools). All those tools just
core dump on our example: a friend of ours gave us 32 images that she
wanted to make into a single image that could be used as a big frame
(hey dude, just use montage and that's it!).
Unfortunately, each image was as large as 64 MB. Only a Caml program
was able to handle that one :)

In this occasion, all those ``more powerful library we can get'' were
not powerful enough. Hence the Camlimages library...

Best regards,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/