From: Florent Monnier <fmonnier@linux-nantes.fr.eu.org>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Cc: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:58:36 +0200	[thread overview]

(...)
> If you had written
> ``I would like to write an image manipulation program that can nearly
> go as far than with Gimp'',

I wish I could ! :-)
But I don't think my skills permits me to implement all the concepts I am
dreaming about... I aim to design it though !
Even if too ambitious for me. If I said "simple" it was because of this,
and also because if Gimp was compared to Emacs,
I am dreaming of a vim like image manipulation program ;-)

In particular I am dreaming on a 100% asccii image format close to .MSL which
could be explained in simple words as an equivalent of the .pov format
for 2D graphics works.
Here is an exemple (which really works with php-conjure) :
http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/incantation.html
But php-conjure is only an interpreter, there is a need for a GUI as you guess

> I would had said nothing (except good luck to you).

Thanks very much :)

> Funny, funny indeed. You know what ? Camlimages was born just because
> we could not do the ``simple image manipulations'' you mentioned using
> any tool we could find on any platform (including ImageMagick, The
> Gimp, Photoshop and other artist specific tools). All those tools just
> core dump on our example: a friend of ours gave us 32 images that she
> wanted to make into a single image that could be used as a big frame
> (hey dude, just use montage and that's it!).
> Unfortunately, each image was as large as 64 MB. Only a Caml program
> was able to handle that one :)
>
> In this occasion, all those ``more powerful library we can get'' were
> not powerful enough. Hence the Camlimages library...

OK,
if I would choose camlImage, would you be ready to implement
all the filters and layer combination modes needed for graphics works ?

Cheers