* [Caml-list] Magick wrap
@ 2004-07-11 19:54 Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-07-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocaml

hi,
I would like to write a simple image manipulation program,
I have first made some experiments with php and image-magick
http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/
But PHP lacks with the gtkDrawingArea stability, due to a memory leak.

As OCaml is the nicest language of the world :) I would like to work with it.
Matthieu Dubuget have show me how to use OCamlMakefile
http://north.chez.tiscali.fr/IM/imagemagick-ocaml-wrap.tgz
but the problem is that the binary does not work on my system.

The error message is " Unable to open file () " and it seems this problem
comes from that there are 2 different versions of the libMagick on my system
[see at the end of the mail for details].

So my question is how can one deal with versions of the installed libs when
wraping C and OCaml ?

++ cheers
--
--------------------------------

/usr/lib/libMagick.so   ->  libMagick-5.5.4.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libMagick.so.5  ->  /usr/lib/libMagick-5.5.4.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libMagick-5.5.4.so.0.0.0

/usr/local/lib/libMagick.so   ->  libMagick.so.6.0.1
/usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.6 ->  libMagick.so.6.0.1
/usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.1

* Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
@ 2004-07-13 16:43 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-07-13 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocaml; +Cc: matthieu.dubuget

[...]
> The error message is " Unable to open file () " and it seems this problem
> comes from that there are 2 different versions of the libMagick on my
> system   [see at the end of the mail for details].
>

> So my question is how can one deal with versions of the installed libs when
> wraping C and OCaml ?

Well, I have found a solution (don't know if it is the best one) :

sed -i Makefile -e "s/Magick/Magick-6.0.1/g"
su -
cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s libMagick.so.6.0.1 libMagick-6.0.1.so

@ 2004-07-14 16:44 ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2004-07-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

> hi,
> I would like to write a simple image manipulation program,
> I have first made some experiments with php and image-magick
> http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/
> But PHP lacks with the gtkDrawingArea stability, due to a memory leak.

You should consider trying camlimages, and perhaps contribute to its
development, if you need something that is not already available ...

http://pauillac.inria.fr/camlimages/

Best regards,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/

* Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
@ 2004-07-14 22:06   ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-07-14 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Pierre Weis

> > I would like to write a simple image manipulation program,
> > I have first made some experiments with php and image-magick
> > http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/
> > But PHP lacks with the gtkDrawingArea stability, due to a memory leak.
>
> You should consider trying camlimages, and perhaps contribute to its
> development, if you need something that is not already available ...
>
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/camlimages/

With ImageMagick we can nearly go as far than with Gimp
(except the fact that IM have no GUI).
Check this to see all the image manipulations IM provides :
http://www.imagemagick.org/www/perl.html

Perhaps I am wrong, but
Camlimages does not seem to provide so much possibilities,
it seems to be closer to GD than to ImageMagick.
And ImageMagick is closer to Gimp, than to GD :)

As I am graphist and not informatician, i will perhaps not have the skills to
make the implementation of the image manipulation program of my dreams
but I will try though ;-)

So that's why I prefer to get the more powerful library I can ...

Cheers

* Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
@ 2004-07-14 22:29     ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2004-07-14 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list, pierre.weis

> > You should consider trying camlimages, and perhaps contribute to its
> > development, if you need something that is not already available ...
> >
> > http://pauillac.inria.fr/camlimages/
>

> With ImageMagick we can nearly go as far than with Gimp
> (except the fact that IM have no GUI).
> Check this to see all the image manipulations IM provides :
> http://www.imagemagick.org/www/perl.html

OK, OK!

In your original message you said:

 > I would like to write a simple image manipulation program,

that's why I supposed Camlimages could be useful. If you had written
``I would like to write an image manipulation program that can nearly
go as far than with Gimp'', I would had said nothing (except good luck
to you).

> Perhaps I am wrong, but
> Camlimages does not seem to provide so much possibilities,
> it seems to be closer to GD than to ImageMagick.
> And ImageMagick is closer to Gimp, than to GD :)

I don't know GD. Camlimages is a simple image manipulation library
that is powerful enough to help Active-DVI to work (Active-DVI is a
graphic presenter for talks written in LaTeX) and has proved useful to
create artistic things.

> As I am graphist and not informatician, i will perhaps not have the skills to
> make the implementation of the image manipulation program of my dreams
> but I will try though ;-)
>
> So that's why I prefer to get the more powerful library I can ...

Funny, funny indeed. You know what ? Camlimages was born just because
we could not do the ``simple image manipulations'' you mentioned using
any tool we could find on any platform (including ImageMagick, The
Gimp, Photoshop and other artist specific tools). All those tools just
core dump on our example: a friend of ours gave us 32 images that she
wanted to make into a single image that could be used as a big frame
(hey dude, just use montage and that's it!).
Unfortunately, each image was as large as 64 MB. Only a Caml program
was able to handle that one :)

In this occasion, all those ``more powerful library we can get'' were
not powerful enough. Hence the Camlimages library...

@ 2004-07-14 23:58       ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-07-14 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Pierre Weis

(...)
> If you had written
> ``I would like to write an image manipulation program that can nearly
> go as far than with Gimp'',

I wish I could ! :-)
But I don't think my skills permits me to implement all the concepts I am
dreaming about... I aim to design it though !
Even if too ambitious for me. If I said "simple" it was because of this,
and also because if Gimp was compared to Emacs,
I am dreaming of a vim like image manipulation program ;-)

In particular I am dreaming on a 100% asccii image format close to .MSL which
could be explained in simple words as an equivalent of the .pov format
for 2D graphics works.
Here is an exemple (which really works with php-conjure) :
http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/incantation.html
But php-conjure is only an interpreter, there is a need for a GUI as you guess

> I would had said nothing (except good luck to you).

Thanks very much :)

> Funny, funny indeed. You know what ? Camlimages was born just because
> we could not do the ``simple image manipulations'' you mentioned using
> any tool we could find on any platform (including ImageMagick, The
> Gimp, Photoshop and other artist specific tools). All those tools just
> core dump on our example: a friend of ours gave us 32 images that she
> wanted to make into a single image that could be used as a big frame
> (hey dude, just use montage and that's it!).
> Unfortunately, each image was as large as 64 MB. Only a Caml program
> was able to handle that one :)
>
> In this occasion, all those ``more powerful library we can get'' were
> not powerful enough. Hence the Camlimages library...

OK,
if I would choose camlImage, would you be ready to implement
all the filters and layer combination modes needed for graphics works ?

Cheers

* Re: [Caml-list] Magick wrap
@ 2004-07-15 21:37         ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2004-07-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list, pierre.weis

[...]
> Here is an exemple (which really works with php-conjure) :
> http://grincheux.codelutin.org/~monnier/php/conjure/incantation.html
> But php-conjure is only an interpreter, there is a need for a GUI as you guess

Wao! Impressive piece of XML :) We have no way to be as verbose using
Caml and Camlimages :(

[...]
> OK,
> if I would choose camlImage, would you be ready to implement
> all the filters and layer combination modes needed for graphics works ?

No.

Cheers