On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 06:35:37PM -0400, Hartmann Schaffer wrote: > Richard Jones wrote: > > >... > > > >One thing that worries me about laziness. > > > >Doesn't laziness often indicate a bug in the code? ie. You've > >written an expression in the program, but that expression is never > >used. This is dead code, right? Hence a bug? > > > > > > well, programs supposedly run against quite a few different data sets, > and depending on the particular data set, some code segments might never > be executed I was really talking about code that would never be executed under any inputs. The example was given of: let x = ... in let y = ... in x Under lazy evaluation, "y" is never evaluated, but it's still dead code. Rich. -- Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://www.j-london.com/ Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - improving website return on investment If I have not seen as far as others, it is because I have been standing in the footprints of giants. -- from Usenet