From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
To: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] WxWidgets?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:10:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:58:36AM +0100, chris.danx wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:29:09PM +0100, chris.danx wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Because we didn't want to put in the effort to do a native WxWindows
> >port, and the Perl/Python options would have been too slow and clunky.
>
> Sorry, I meant how did you find Gtk+ on Windows?  Was Gtk-Wimp
> successful at presenting a Windows style interface?  I have only used
> gtk-wimp in the context of a code editor, gps - for Ada development, it
> seemed much closer to the Windows L&F but IIRC it wasn't entirely there.

Yes, basically my impression too.  For the application we were
developing - a custom application - it didn't much matter that the L&F
was very slightly different from a native Windows app.  The main thing
was that it worked at all, and we could develop on Linux without
having to deal with the horrible Windows development environment too
much.

On the other hand, if you were developing a commercial off-the-shelf
package, native widgets would certainly be the way to go
(particularly, I suspect, for high quality internationalisation).

The lack of printing support in Gtk was particularly painful.  I had
to implement a Win32 printing helper program in C, adapted from the
one supplied with GIMP (I can supply source to this if you want, but
it only deals with simple bitmaps).  Win32 is a nasty API to have to
use ...

Anyway, I have some other bits and pieces I can send you: the
cross-platform GNU Makefile we used to build the final package, and
the NSIS installer script, if these are useful.

Rich.

NET::FTPSERVER is a full-featured, secure, configurable, database-backed
FTP server written in Perl: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/netftpserver/