* [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-06 17:30 Vasili Galchin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vasili Galchin @ 2004-10-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

     To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is there any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something like literate programming with OCaml?

Regards, Vasili

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-06 18:46 ` David Overton
From: David Overton @ 2004-10-06 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili Galchin; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:30:07AM -0700, Vasili Galchin wrote:
>      To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is
>      there any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something
>      like literate programming with OCaml?

We've been using ocamldoc, which comes with the OCaml distribution,
quite successfully for producing documentation.  It has a few quirks,
such as renaming type parameters in signatures to 'a, 'b, 'c, ... (not
helpful when you're trying to use more descriptive names), but is quite
powerful.  I believe it's fairly similar to doxygen, but have not used
the latter.

David
--
David Overton
WWW: http://www.overtons.id.au/

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-07  0:57 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-10-07  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili Galchin; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 03:30, Vasili Galchin wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is
> there any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something like
> literate programming with OCaml?

Interscript (http://interscript.sf.net), Funnelweb,
Noweb, NuWeb, and half a dozen other LP tools work just fine
with *all* languages.

Ocamldoc (available in the standard distro) is
a language dependent documentatiuon tool
like perldoc, doxygen, javadoc etc,

However, please don't confuse this with LP.
LP is universal but invasive, doc tools are language
dependent, don't interoperate, but aren't invasive.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-07  0:59   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-10-07  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Overton; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 04:46, David Overton wrote:

> We've been using ocamldoc, which comes with the OCaml distribution,
> quite successfully for producing documentation.  It has a few quirks,

 -- like processing variant documentation
but not handling polymorphic variants :(

@ 2004-10-07  7:59   ` lehalle@miriad
From: lehalle@miriad @ 2004-10-07  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:46:18 +0100, David Overton <dmo@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:30:07AM -0700, Vasili Galchin wrote:
>>      To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is
>>      there any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something
>>      like literate programming with OCaml?
>
> We've been using ocamldoc, which comes with the OCaml distribution,
> quite successfully for producing documentation.  It has a few quirks,
> such as renaming type parameters in signatures to 'a, 'b, 'c, ... (not
> helpful when you're trying to use more descriptive names), but is quite
> powerful.  I believe it's fairly similar to doxygen, but have not used
> the latter.
>
> David

ocamaweb is a good solution too, but has at this stage not extension (xml
configuration file) for all languages.
it works with MATLAB, awk, visual basic, SAS, etc (in fact, with languages
having only line comments).
it is according to me a good balance between javadoc/doxygen tools (too
close to code structure) and web systems (that need a compilation/tangle
to produce code).
ocamaweb is widely used at miriad technologies for matlab documentations.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocamaweb

http://www.literateprogramming.com/ftools.html

charles

--
Charles-Albert Lehalle --- MIRIAD Technologies
advanced projects manager

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-07 12:35   ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2004-10-07 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili Galchin; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 03:30, Vasili Galchin wrote:

>      To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is
> there any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something like
> literate programming with OCaml?

I've developed a literate programming tool for Ocaml, ocamlweb. See
http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/ocamlweb/

You'll find many examples of ocamlweb output on this page:
http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/software.en.html (looking at the .ps links)

Though ocamlweb  was inspired  by Knuth's WEB  it only  implements the
pretty-printing  and  indexing   features,  not  the  weaving  feature
(i.e. the ability to present pieces  of code in an arbitrary order). I
consider ocaml to be structured enough.  ocamlweb is assuming comments
to be written  in LaTeX (unless declared as  true comments that should
be ignored).

I wrote this  tool to get nice listings of  my code, following Knuth's
principle that a  program should be something as  beautiful as a book,
readable by a human (and not only a machine).

--
Jean-Christophe Filliâtre

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-07 18:41 ` Norman Ramsey
From: Norman Ramsey @ 2004-10-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili Galchin; +Cc: caml-list

 >      To my knowledge http://www.doxygen.org only works with C/C++. Is there
   any general-purpose tool that allows one to do something like literate progr
   amming with OCaml?

We have over 10,000 lines of literate OCaml written using noweb.
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb/

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and doxygen???
@ 2004-10-08 11:07   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2004-10-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Ramsey; +Cc: Vasili Galchin, caml-list

Hello,

Norman Ramsey <nr@eecs.harvard.edu> writes:

> We have over 10,000 lines of literate OCaml written using noweb.
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb/

demexp is also an ocaml program currently made of more than 5,500 lines
using noweb.

Nice point about noweb: it is language agnostic so, for example, demexp
XDR message description is also documented with noweb.

Weak point in relation with ocaml: no pretty-printing of OCaml code. It
should be doable using noweb plugin infrastructure and ocamlweb
pretty-printing code but nobody as done it yet.

Yours,
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A