* http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-27 22:04 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-10-27 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

There's been some discussion about:

http://www.ocaml.org/

At the moment it's particularly embarrassing - it hasn't been updated
since mid last year, and it points to an old release of the language.
Is there any movement on getting it repointed to http://caml.inria.fr?
Is there anything we in the community can do to help?  For example if
there are lack of resources to build or run a new ocaml.org site, then
Merjis have an Objective CAML-based CMS which we can deploy.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones.  http://www.annexia.org/  http://www.j-london.com/
http://youunlimited.co.uk/ - Personal improvement courses

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-28 14:36 ` henri dubois-ferriere
From: henri dubois-ferriere @ 2004-10-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

there was  a discussion on this 6 months ago

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+xavier+leroy+www.ocaml.org+julian&hl=en&lr=&selm=fa.dmb8s9e.1dmqh06%40ifi.uio.no&rnum=2

henri

@ 2004-10-28 14:54   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-10-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:36:22PM +0200, henri dubois-ferriere wrote:
> there was  a discussion on this 6 months ago

I know!  Precisely why I was asking if anything was happening :-)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones.  http://www.annexia.org/  http://www.j-london.com/
>>>   http://www.team-notepad.com/ - collaboration tools for teams   <<<
Learn Objective CAML - http://www.merjis.com/developers

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-28 15:44 ` Xavier Leroy
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2004-10-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

> There's been some discussion about:
> http://www.ocaml.org/
> At the moment it's particularly embarrassing - it hasn't been updated
> since mid last year, and it points to an old release of the language.

I just performed the minimal update you suggest.

> Is there any movement on getting it repointed to http://caml.inria.fr?

The original plan was to do that once the redesign of the
caml.inria.fr / caml.org site is complete.  However, the author of the
new site defended his PhD and left earlier than expected, leaving us
with a 90%-completed site that no one wants to finish :-(

Of course, we could repoint ocaml.org now to the current caml.inria.fr
site, but that might be a step backwards in terms of modern look.

> Is there anything we in the community can do to help?  For example if
> there are lack of resources to build or run a new ocaml.org site, then
> Merjis have an Objective CAML-based CMS which we can deploy.

As usual, the main issues are not technical, i.e. who is going to
write what, etc.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-28 16:16   ` Wolfgang Müller
From: Wolfgang Müller @ 2004-10-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thursday 28 October 2004 17:44, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> Of course, we could repoint ocaml.org now to the current caml.inria.fr
> site, but that might be a step backwards in terms of modern look.

I personally think content beats looks. If you're afraid of the bad looks just
put a volunteers wanted site up (IMHO).

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS AI 1

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-28 16:26   ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2004-10-28 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy, Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

> The original plan was to do that once the redesign of the
> caml.inria.fr / caml.org site is complete.  However, the author of the
> new site defended his PhD and left earlier than expected, leaving us
> with a 90%-completed site that no one wants to finish :-(

Maybe if you post his email address here and if everybody is sending him a
nice email asking him to finish the website it might somehow works :)
Another solution is to put theses 90% sources somewhere and see what's the
community can get out of it.

Regards,
Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-10-28 16:54     ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-10-28 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:16:24PM +0200, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> I personally think content beats looks. If you're afraid of the bad
> looks just put a volunteers wanted site up (IMHO).

Content is definitely most important.

I can create a COCANWIKI-based wiki and/or a COCANWIKI-based CMS (I
suggest you probably need both - the CMS for the main site, and a wiki
to encourage user contribution areas).

We can host it on our servers, at no cost to you obviously.
Alternately if you have a spare Linux/BSD/Solaris server you can host
it there.  We have source and .debs here:

http://sandbox.merjis.com/release
http://sandbox.merjis.com/debian_packages

The .debs should install directly on a Debian/testing machine with
Apache 1.3 & PostgreSQL 7.4.

To get an idea of how it's possible to style COCANWIKI and use it as a
CMS, have a look at: http://www.team-notepad.com/ (this site is driven
from a COCANWIKI server, styled with CSS and with edit permissions
enabled so that only authorized users can edit).

Rich.

--

@ 2004-10-28 23:39   ` Christopher A. Watford
From: Christopher A. Watford @ 2004-10-28 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Xavier Leroy

Perhaps you could show us the potential new site design? I'd be happy
to finish it up the HTML/design for y'all if thats all that is needed.
If more is required, I don't see it as an immediate problem either.

--
Christopher A. Watford
christopher.watford@gmail.com

@ 2004-10-29  7:45     ` Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
From: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons @ 2004-10-29  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

    Bonjour,

I would just like a link to Caml Weekly News.

        Diego Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] http://www.ocaml.org
@ 2004-11-04 21:19       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2004-11-04 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)