* Could be Caml a good language for sound manipulation ?
@ 2004-11-28 23:17 Elthariel
From: Elthariel @ 2004-11-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello "les Cémaliens",
I'm quite new in oCaml world, I partially learnt it in my school (EPITA
/ Paris) and I'm going to finish this next year. I'm not really ease in
english so my question will be short : do you think Caml coul be a nice
langage for sound manipulation implementation, as Synthetizers, effects
plugins ? I doesn't ask for answer in term of performance which should
be I guess quite good :p, but more in term of software design and
language facility.

Thank you for paying me attention.
Elthariel.

* Re: Could be Caml a good language for sound manipulation ?
@ 2004-11-29  3:21 ` Julian Brown
From: Julian Brown @ 2004-11-29  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 2004-11-28, Elthariel <elthariel@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello "les Cémaliens",
> I'm quite new in oCaml world, I partially learnt it in my school (EPITA
> / Paris) and I'm going to finish this next year. I'm not really ease in
> english so my question will be short : do you think Caml coul be a nice
> langage for sound manipulation implementation, as Synthetizers, effects
> plugins ? I doesn't ask for answer in term of performance which should
> be I guess quite good :p, but more in term of software design and
> language facility.

I can't really answer this very sensibly with my extremely limited
experience in the area, but I will try anyway!

I think that performance problems may hit you sooner than you might hope
for real-time stuff. I was slightly surprised that my naive first attempt
at audio-type programming with Ocaml failed to fill buffers fast enough
with a bytecode-compiled executable, though native code is fine (this
was on a 1GHz Athlon, YMMV). The trancendental functions and non-tail
recursive functions I used might have something to do with it though.

As for the manipulation of sound itself, yes, Ocaml is a lovely
language! It may be better to stick with an imperative rather than
functional programming style though, for reasons of performance. Also,
under Linux, the low-level ioctl calls are a total pain, and require
interfacing to C.

You can have a look at this as an example if you like, though I don't
expect it will be very useful to you:

  http://panic.cs.bris.ac.uk/~jules/beepy.tar.bz2

It needs lablgtk2, and probably won't work on anything but Linux. It's
only been tested on x86. The sound.ml/sountctl.c files might be a useful
starting point for some sort of sound output library, if you can't find
anything else more suitable.

Cheers,

Julian

* Re: [Caml-list] Could be Caml a good language for sound manipulation ?
@ 2004-11-29  3:35 ` Evan Martin
From: Evan Martin @ 2004-11-29  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elthariel; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:17:32AM +0100, Elthariel wrote:
> I'm quite new in oCaml world, I partially learnt it in my school (EPITA
> / Paris) and I'm going to finish this next year. I'm not really ease in
> english so my question will be short : do you think Caml coul be a nice
> langage for sound manipulation implementation, as Synthetizers, effects
> plugins ? I doesn't ask for answer in term of performance which should
> be I guess quite good :p, but more in term of software design and
> language facility.

The main problem I've encountered is that if you allocate memory while
processing large streams of data, your program ends up spending a lot of
its processing time in the garbage collector.

--
Evan Martin
martine@danga.com