* (no subject)
@ 2005-01-18  7:33 Stéphane Payrard
From: Stéphane Payrard @ 2005-01-18  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

Hi,

I am an ocaml beginner and I try to compile the last snapshot of
camelon. I am using mandrake with the following rpms:
   ocaml-lablgtk-1.2.7-1mdk
   ocaml-3.08.2-1mdk

I get the following message when trying to compile:

Files /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/gtkThread.cmx
and /usr/lib/ocaml/threads/threads.cmxa
make inconsistent assumptions over implementation Thread

Should I use different versiosn of either lablgtk or ocaml?
The INSTALL file suggest OCaml 3.07  and LablGtk 1.2.6 .
Or is there an easy way to tweak cameleon to get it to compile
with the ocaml and lablgtk versions I have.

--
 stef

* Re: [Caml-list] (no subject)
@ 2005-01-18  8:09 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-01-18  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stef, Ocaml

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 07:33, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an ocaml beginner and I try to compile the last snapshot of
> camelon. I am using mandrake with the following rpms:
>    ocaml-lablgtk-1.2.7-1mdk
>    ocaml-3.08.2-1mdk
>
> I get the following message when trying to compile:
>
> Files /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/gtkThread.cmx
> and /usr/lib/ocaml/threads/threads.cmxa
> make inconsistent assumptions over implementation Thread
>
> Should I use different versiosn of either lablgtk or ocaml?
> The INSTALL file suggest OCaml 3.07  and LablGtk 1.2.6 .
> Or is there an easy way to tweak cameleon to get it to compile
> with the ocaml and lablgtk versions I have.

I think this problem is due to different ocaml versions being used to generate
lablgtk and threads.

Interfaces between OCaml compilation units are *very* brittle. This is being
discussed on the list at the moment, as even a minor version change of the
compiler (e.g. 3.08.2 -> 3.08.3) breaks compatibility.

The good news is that this binary incompatibility is because the compiler is
very pedantic about interfaces and guarantees that everything will work.

Your best bet is either to compile all of the packages yourself or to use
someone else's packages. I find Debian to be excellent in this respect.

Cheers,
Jon.

PS: 3.08 has some useful additions which you may well find that people use in
their code now (e.g. immediate objects).

* dependancy problems?
@ 2005-01-18  8:25   ` Stéphane Payrard
From: Stéphane Payrard @ 2005-01-18  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml; +Cc: pixel

Hi,

note to pixel: you are in copy because you may be interested.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:09:14AM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 07:33, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am an ocaml beginner and I try to compile the last snapshot of
> > cameleon. I am using mandrake with the following rpms:
> >    ocaml-lablgtk-1.2.7-1mdk
> >    ocaml-3.08.2-1mdk
> >
> > I get the following message when trying to compile:
> >
> > Files /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/gtkThread.cmx
> > and /usr/lib/ocaml/threads/threads.cmxa
> > make inconsistent assumptions over implementation Thread
> >
> > Should I use different versiosn of either lablgtk or ocaml?
> > The INSTALL file suggest OCaml 3.07  and LablGtk 1.2.6 .
> > Or is there an easy way to tweak cameleon to get it to compile
> > with the ocaml and lablgtk versions I have.
>
> I think this problem is due to different ocaml versions being used to generate
> lablgtk and threads.

Does this mean that the mandrake people have not done a proper job
about dependancies?  I have installed unison that also uses
lablgtk. There is no problem there. So I am puzzled.

> Interfaces between OCaml compilation units are *very* brittle. This is being
> discussed on the list at the moment, as even a minor version change of the
> compiler (e.g. 3.08.2 -> 3.08.3) breaks compatibility.

Naive question: is this due to some internal layout of compiled structures like
classe vtables in C++? Or is this just because modules are updated and
their signature change?

> The good news is that this binary incompatibility is because the compiler is
> very pedantic about interfaces and guarantees that everything will work.
>
> Your best bet is either to compile all of the packages yourself or to use
> someone else's packages. I find Debian to be excellent in this
> respect.
>
> Cheers,
> Jon.
>
> PS: 3.08 has some useful additions which you may well find that people use in
> their code now (e.g. immediate objects).

Thx for you help.

--
  stef

* Re: [Caml-list] dependancy problems?
@ 2005-01-18 12:27     ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2005-01-18 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stef, Ocaml, pixel

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:25:22AM +0100, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> note to pixel: you are in copy because you may be interested.
>

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:09:14AM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 January 2005 07:33, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am an ocaml beginner and I try to compile the last snapshot of
> > > cameleon. I am using mandrake with the following rpms:
> > >    ocaml-lablgtk-1.2.7-1mdk
> > >    ocaml-3.08.2-1mdk
> > >
> > > I get the following message when trying to compile:
> > >
> > > Files /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/gtkThread.cmx
> > > and /usr/lib/ocaml/threads/threads.cmxa
> > > make inconsistent assumptions over implementation Thread
> > >
> > > Should I use different versiosn of either lablgtk or ocaml?
> > > The INSTALL file suggest OCaml 3.07  and LablGtk 1.2.6 .
> > > Or is there an easy way to tweak cameleon to get it to compile
> > > with the ocaml and lablgtk versions I have.
> >
> > I think this problem is due to different ocaml versions being used to generate
> > lablgtk and threads.
>
> Does this mean that the mandrake people have not done a proper job
> about dependancies?  I have installed unison that also uses
> lablgtk. There is no problem there. So I am puzzled.

Probably yes. Or maybe just the binary compatibility problem with 3.08.1 ro
3.08.2 migration, so it did not hit only debian.

You should fill a bug report about this to mandrake so they fix it.

> > Interfaces between OCaml compilation units are *very* brittle. This is being
> > discussed on the list at the moment, as even a minor version change of the
> > compiler (e.g. 3.08.2 -> 3.08.3) breaks compatibility.
>
> Naive question: is this due to some internal layout of compiled structures like
> classe vtables in C++? Or is this just because modules are updated and
> their signature change?

See a previous thread about this where i participated (last week and sunday i
think) for answers on this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] dependancy problems?
@ 2005-02-06 16:06       ` Pixel
From: Pixel @ 2005-02-06 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: stef, Ocaml

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:25:22AM +0100, Stéphane Payrard wrote:

[...]

> > > I think this problem is due to different ocaml versions being used to generate
> > > lablgtk and threads.
> >
> > Does this mean that the mandrake people have not done a proper job
> > about dependancies?  I have installed unison that also uses
> > lablgtk. There is no problem there. So I am puzzled.
>
> Probably yes. Or maybe just the binary compatibility problem with 3.08.1 ro
> 3.08.2 migration, so it did not hit only debian.

right, i've rebuilt LablGtk and now it works.

(sorry for the answer time)