From: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
To: Paul Snively <psnively@mac.com>
Cc: Mike Hamburg <hamburg@fas.harvard.edu>,
	ml-labo@epimac.org, Julien Roussel <julien.roussel@gmail.com>,
	caml-list@yquem.inria.fr, tipoix@free.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml && COCOA-Environment (Mac-OS-X/GUI)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:24:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I had looked shortly at the code... but it seems I have to learn a lot
more of OCaml-C-Binding-stuff as well as Objective-C.
So I started to learn again Objective-C in more detail.

As far as I can see, the Classes of the Cocoa-Lib are very
powerful!!!

I will start to write some small Applications in Objective-C under OS-X
as soon as possible. But bigger stuff I would prefer to write in OCaml.

If I maybe will have enough experience with ObjC and COCOA,
I will try to marriage it with the Ocaml-C-binding (but this
is new to me too).

If I may have some time to visit the code,  or to test it with
expermimental programs, I can look into it.
But now it seems to me, that I have to learn the basics of these
different worlds in more detail.

I came from ANSI-C and have done the most work on Linux. Then I have done
a lot of Perl-programming on Linux too.

But the Mac-OS-World is different (but very impressing, what they are doing
there... they seem to have a lot of that NeXt-Step-Stuff integrated into OS-X!)

I hope that there are some more people out there who are
interested to - maybe - start a project to integrate
COCOA and OCaml. It seems to me, that a powerful library for
OS-X-GUI (COCOA) for OCaml could be a nice thing for many people.

Are there more OS-X developers or are there more OCaml-developers?
And how many OCaml-developers are working at OS-X?
And if there woule be such a binding... ?!

Best regards....
       ... I hope to have enough time for doing more ObjC...

Ciao,
   Oliver

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:04:20PM -0800, Paul Snively wrote:

--
"Here at michigan state university, my computational linguistics professor
 had us learn ocaml for the class and we used it exclusively. I like it so