From: Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Using Ocaml as wrapper for RRD
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:34:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Oliver,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 03:20:05AM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Well, not a real general wrapper, but in a program that I wrote and that
> I rewrite from scratch to have a more sophisticated functionality, I
> also want to add code that creates RRD-tool output.
> Maybe it would make sense to do it as a library. But this is not planned
> now.

In the mean time I have learnt a bit more about the RRD-libraries of
some languages and it seems to me the only addon (I might be wrong) is
that you can create rrd-graphs on the fly using a cgi.

That is not really what I need.

> The program I mentioned was a sendmail-loganalyzer and it goes through
> a whole sendmail-logfile and creates outputs like these:

This is about what I want to do with exim-related logs.  And it seems
that it is only necessary to create output that can be directed as
input to RRD-commands which will do the rest.
> But the rrd-interface is already planned.

> Maybe this is not what you are looking for, but you asked for RRDtool and
> that is something that is at least intended to use in this sendmai-oganalyzer.

> > If not, what would be the recommended route using Ocaml to create
> > time-related graphs.
>
> IMHO rrdtool is cool. And if you have a patient way of living (or if
> you are interested in sponsoring me ;-)) then your problem will be
> solved very quickly. :)

I am a newcomer to RRD and programming is more a hobby than a career
to me.  I will enjoy looking at what you have done to learn from it
and probably use the knowledge to create custom-made tools for my
situation.

As far as the sponsoring is concerned I apologise for my lack of
resources :)

Enjoy your day.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "And he said to them all, If any man will come after
      me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily,
      and follow me."          Luke 9:23