* Port of World wind
@ 2005-05-17 10:06 Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2005-05-17 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe some of you know the World Wind (WW) project:

  http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

It is really a nice application, both visually and from an educational
perspective.  However, it has been written in c# and DirectX, so is
not available on Unix or MacOSX.  Some port discussions have been
taking place, but so far nothing concrete has seen the light.  So, if
some people on this list are in search of a great projet, I think that
would fit and would also help popularizing OCaml!  The project is also
technically interesting as it mixes OpenGL, XML, networks,...

The usual "help" links given are:
  http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Main_Page
  http://issues.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/secure/Dashboard.jspa
  http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Mac_and_Linux_Port_Collaboration
  http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=69528

However, there is not much of a "where to start" on these pages.  My
opinion is that the first step is to build a library to use Web Map
Services (WMS).  The specs are available at

  http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=5316

Some useful links:

  http://www.opengeospatial.org/specs/
  http://www.intl-interfaces.com/cookbook/WMS/
  http://www.digitalearth.gov/
  http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/
  http://www.globe.gov/globe_flash.html

Such a library would already allow many educational tools in addition
to WW.

Personally, I really do not have the time to develop such a library
(unless I succeed to get some students involved) but I'd be very much
interestd in using it!

Regards,
ChriS

* Re: [Caml-list] Port of World wind
@ 2005-05-17 10:52 ` Frédéric Gava
From: Frédéric Gava @ 2005-05-17 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe TROESTLER; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

it is a great  project and it could also benefict of parallelism as in
http://netjuggler.sourceforge.net/

Frédéric Gava

@ 2005-05-17 21:03 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-05-17 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 11:06, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:
> Personally, I really do not have the time to develop such a library
> (unless I succeed to get some students involved) but I'd be very much
> interestd in using it!

Wow, that looks absolutely incredible! Thanks for the link, ChriS.

My work was going really well but I can see myself losing focus a little

Objective CAML for Scientists