* Bootstrapping problem with patched compiler
@ 2005-07-08 19:02 Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2005-07-08 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml; +Cc: Yaron Minsky

Hi,

I have run into linking problems trying to bootstrap OCaml patched
with more primitives in the standard library.  The patch changes
the Printexc-module in the standard library and refers to external
functions, which were added to byterun/printexc.c (as CAMLprim).
byterun/Makefile has been changed as required (variable PRIMS) to include
byterun/printexc.c now when computing primitives.

According to a post from Xavier some time ago the right way to bootstrap
the compiler with such changes is as follows:

 - start with pristine OCaml sources
 - do "make world"
 - perform your changes
 - do "make all"  (NOT "make world")
 - do "make bootstrap" to make sure everything is OK.

Unfortunately, this does not work for me.  Here is the last error message,
which pops up after "make all":

  make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/ocaml/otherlibs/labltk/lib'
  ../../../ocamlcomp.sh -verbose -linkall -o labltktop -I ../support \
  -I ../../../toplevel toplevellib.cma \
  -I ../labltk -I ../camltk labltk.cma \
  -I ../../unix unix.cma \
  -I ../../str str.cma \
  topstart.cmo
  Files ../../../toplevel/toplevellib.cma(Topmain) and
  ../../../stdlib/stdlib.cma(Printexc) make inconsistent assumptions over
  interface Printexc

Since I don't understand all dependencies of the build process, maybe one
of the developers could give me a hint where the bootstrapping failed? -
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl    markus.mottl@gmail.com    http://www.ocaml.info

* Re: [Caml-list] Bootstrapping problem with patched compiler
@ 2005-07-08 22:10 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-07-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markus.mottl; +Cc: caml-list

From: Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>

> According to a post from Xavier some time ago the right way to bootstrap
> the compiler with such changes is as follows:
>
>  - start with pristine OCaml sources
>  - do "make world"
>  - perform your changes
>  - do "make all"  (NOT "make world")
>  - do "make bootstrap" to make sure everything is OK.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not work for me.  Here is the last error message,
> which pops up after "make all":
>
>   make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/ocaml/otherlibs/labltk/lib'

If you went up to that point, it means that the changes basically
worked. You may verify it by using
  ./boot/ocamlrun ./ocaml -I stdlib
But apparently some dependencies were not  yet solved.
I cannot exactly see where the problem comes from, but
I would suggest one more "make bootstrap" to clear the situation.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Bootstrapping problem with patched compiler
@ 2005-07-11 15:28   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2005-07-11 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: caml-list

On 7/8/05, Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> >   make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/ocaml/otherlibs/labltk/lib'
>
> If you went up to that point, it means that the changes basically
> worked. You may verify it by using
>   ./boot/ocamlrun ./ocaml -I stdlib

This command works for me.  ./boot/ocamlrun is obviously still
unchanged from the unpatched run, but ./ocaml has been rebuilt.

> But apparently some dependencies were not  yet solved.
> I cannot exactly see where the problem comes from, but
> I would suggest one more "make bootstrap" to clear the situation.

Funny, this indeed solved the problem!  Just doing a "make world"
followed by "make bootstrap" doesn't work either (for a different
reason). I have to execute a second "make bootstrap" in any case.

Thanks for the hint!

Regards,
Markus

--