* AS/Xcaml status
@ 2005-07-14  8:33 Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2005-07-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

What is the current state of AS/Xcaml? The website www.asxcaml.org still points
to the alpha from april 2004, but people keep hinting to darcs repositories and
http servers living in other projects' attics on this list.
Is there a version available somewhere that can be built and used by mere
mortals and is suitable for projects slightly above prototype level?

Yours, Florian Hars.

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
@ 2005-07-14 11:05 ` Alex Baretta
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Hars, Ocaml, Ernesto Ferrari, Domenico Cosentino, Luca Pascali

Florian Hars wrote:
> What is the current state of AS/Xcaml? The website www.asxcaml.org still
> points
> to the alpha from april 2004, but people keep hinting to darcs
> repositories and http servers living in other projects' attics on this
> list.
> Is there a version available somewhere that can be built and used by
> mere mortals and is suitable for projects slightly above prototype level?
>
> Yours, Florian Hars.

The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, a
full fledged ERP application licensed under the GPL. We are also using
it to develop GUI's to PLC applications for industrial machinery.

We have been using darcs for a while to manage the development effort,
but the sheer mass of the project has crushed the pathetic "patch
theory" Roundy declares to have concocted. I am gradually moving
everything over to arch, but I am not having time to breathe, and most
development tasks which are under my responsibility are stalling.

Anyhow, I'll ask my collegues to place a couple of demo applications on
our websites, for the joy of you all. We might also release a snapshot
of the current code, pending the availability of the tla repos.

Ernesto and Dome, do you think we can manage all this today?

Alex

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Our technology:

The Application System/Xcaml (AS/Xcaml)
<http://www.asxcaml.org/>

The FreerP Project
<http://www.freerp.org/>

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
@ 2005-07-14 12:58   ` Alex Baretta
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-14 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Hars; +Cc: Ocaml

Alex Baretta wrote:

> The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, a
> full fledged ERP application licensed under the GPL. We are also using
> it to develop GUI's to PLC applications for industrial machinery.

Try viewing a demo of our glass cutting application at the following URL:

http://starcut.demo.barettadeit.com/

Mozilla or Firefox are required, as the user interface takes advantage
of Mozilla specific features--the sidebar, mainly.

@ 2005-07-14 13:11     ` T. Kurt Bond
       [not found]     ` <42D672A6.6090006@tsc.uc3m.es>
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2005-07-14 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

Alex Baretta writes:
> Alex Baretta wrote:
> >
> > The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, a
> > full fledged ERP application licensed under the GPL. We are also using
> > it to develop GUI's to PLC applications for industrial machinery.
>
> Try viewing a demo of our glass cutting application at the following URL:
>
> http://starcut.demo.barettadeit.com/
>
> Mozilla or Firefox are required, as the user interface takes advantage
> of Mozilla specific features--the sidebar, mainly.
>
> Alex

It requires a username and password.
--
T. Kurt Bond, tkb@tkb.mpl.com

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
       [not found]     ` <42D672A6.6090006@tsc.uc3m.es>
@ 2005-07-14 14:20       ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fva, Ocaml

fva wrote:
> HI
>
> I tried having a look at the URL you suggested, out of curio, mainly,
> but the place is locked by password.

Sorry.

Username: starcut
Password: starcut

@ 2005-07-15  3:10   ` Matthew Hannigan
From: Matthew Hannigan @ 2005-07-15  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta
  Cc: Florian Hars, Ocaml, Ernesto Ferrari, Domenico Cosentino, Luca Pascali

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:05:49PM +0200, Alex Baretta wrote:
> The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, a
>  [ ... ]
> theory" Roundy declares to have concocted. I am gradually moving
> everything over to arch, but I am not having time to breathe, and most

Is the arch archive public by any chance?

Regards,
Matt

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
       [not found]     ` <42D672A6.6090006@tsc.uc3m.es>
@ 2005-07-15 12:32     ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2005-07-15 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

Alex Baretta wrote:
> Try viewing a demo of our glass cutting application at the following URL:

You somehow forgot to hook the actual cutting machine to your webserver :-).

But seriously, I would really like to look at a buildable snapshot.
The alpha version on asxcaml.org seems to lack the contents of
$(OCAML_DEIT)/{ocamllib-addons,unixlib-addons,rules-engine,xcaml_lib,metaxcaml_lib,dbinterface}
as well as the Makefiles in $(ROOT)/..

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
@ 2005-07-15 15:59     ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-15 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hannigan, Ocaml

Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:05:49PM +0200, Alex Baretta wrote:
>
>>The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, ...
>
> Is the arch archive public by any chance?

It is supposed to be public, except that I have not finished converting
the old darcs archives to arch.

@ 2005-07-21  4:26   ` Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2005-07-21  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta
  Cc: Florian Hars, Ocaml, Ernesto Ferrari, Domenico Cosentino, Luca Pascali

Alex Baretta wrote:
> Florian Hars wrote:
>
>>What is the current state of AS/Xcaml? The website www.asxcaml.org still
>>points
>>to the alpha from april 2004, but people keep hinting to darcs
>>repositories and http servers living in other projects' attics on this
>>list.
>>Is there a version available somewhere that can be built and used by
>>mere mortals and is suitable for projects slightly above prototype level?
>>
>>Yours, Florian Hars.
>

> The AS/Xcaml is a mature project. We are using it to develop FreerP, a
> full fledged ERP application licensed under the GPL. We are also using
> it to develop GUI's to PLC applications for industrial machinery.

Alex,

On your main page you state that ocamlnet and pxp need a patch applied,
with OcamlODBC optionally being patched.  Since I like to use godi to
install my packages, getting patches in there becomes a little harder.

Is there anyway we can get those patches into the official versions of
these products so we don't need to manualy patch?

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair@orcaware.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] AS/Xcaml status
@ 2005-07-21 18:18     ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-07-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blair Zajac, Ocaml

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Alex Baretta wrote:
>
> On your main page you state that ocamlnet and pxp need a patch applied,
> with OcamlODBC optionally being patched.  Since I like to use godi to
> install my packages, getting patches in there becomes a little harder.
>
> Is there anyway we can get those patches into the official versions of
> these products so we don't need to manualy patch?
>
> Regards,
> Blair

The patches have been submitted to the developers. Some have been
accepted. The Xcaml home page is obsolete, so probably some of the
mentioned patches are no longer necessary. I must continue apologizing
for taking eons to publish the new tla repos, with the updated build
system and support for Ocaml 3.08.

@ 2005-07-21 23:44       ` Matthew Hannigan
From: Matthew Hannigan @ 2005-07-21 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: Blair Zajac, Ocaml

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:18:36PM +0200, Alex Baretta wrote:
> The patches have been submitted to the developers. Some have been
> accepted. The Xcaml home page is obsolete, so probably some of the
> mentioned patches are no longer necessary. I must continue apologizing
> for taking eons to publish the new tla repos, with the updated build
> system and support for Ocaml 3.08.

For what it's worth, there are sites which will mirror tla/gnu-arch
archives for free:

	http://www.sourcecontrol.net
	https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/doap

They're both associated with Canonical.com and Ubuntu linux.

Regards,
Matt