* Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-13 12:38 Ingo Bormuth
From: Ingo Bormuth @ 2005-09-13 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: ingo

Hi list,

the following declaration of put_to_screen nicely accepts all kinds
of values as v. This is the expected behaviour.

    # let put_to_screen v = print_string ( Marshal.to_string v [] ) ;;
    val put_to_screen : 'a -> unit = <fun>

    # put_to_screen "test" ;;
    %%%%%test- : unit = ()

    # put_to_screen 5 ;;
    %%%%%E- : unit = ()

Nevertheless, if I store the polymorphic function in a reference to
create a closure for all kinds of output methodeis, any attemps to use
that function are thwarted by the type interferer.

    # let put = ref put_to_screen ;;
    val put : ('_a -> unit) ref = {contents = <fun>}

    # !put "test" ;;
    %%%%%%test- : unit = ()

    # !put 5 ;;
    This expression has type int but is here used with type string

How can I keep the interferer from explicitly resolving the type of v ?

    # put;;
    - : (string -> unit) ref = {contents = <fun>}

Thanks !

   | Ingo Bormuth,  voicebox & telefax: +49-12125-10226517  |
   | GnuPG key 86326EC9 at http://ibormuth.efil.de/contact  |

* Re: [Caml-list] Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-14 21:08 ` Stéphane Glondu
From: Stéphane Glondu @ 2005-09-14 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Bormuth; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

Ingo Bormuth wrote:
> How can I keep the interferer from explicitly resolving the type of v ?

It is not possible using mutable values. However, I didn't catch what
you want to do with thoses references: maybe there is another way to
achieve what you want?

--
Stephane Glondu

* Re: [Caml-list] Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-14 23:48 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-09-14 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ibormuth; +Cc: caml-list

From: Ingo Bormuth <ibormuth@efil.de>

> Nevertheless, if I store the polymorphic function in a reference to
> create a closure for all kinds of output methodeis, any attemps to use
> that function are thwarted by the type interferer.
>
>     # let put = ref put_to_screen ;;
>     val put : ('_a -> unit) ref = {contents = <fun>}
>
>     # !put "test" ;;
>     %%%%%%test- : unit = ()
>
>     # !put 5 ;;
>     This expression has type int but is here used with type string
>
> How can I keep the interferer from explicitly resolving the type of v ?

You cannot: this would be unsound.
Actually, this is the opposite: you want to tell in advance the
inferer that put is polymorphic, and that only polymorphic values
should be accepeted. The simplest way to do this is to define a new
type:

type put = {put: 'a -> unit} ;;
let put = {put = put_to_screen} ;;
put.put "test";;
put.put 5;;

Jacques Garrigue      Nagoya University     garrigue at math.nagoya-u.ac.jp
		   <A HREF=http://www.math.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [Caml-list] Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-15  6:31   ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2005-09-15  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: ibormuth, caml-list

 Jacques Garrigue [Thursday 15 September 2005] :

 > From: Ingo Bormuth <ibormuth@efil.de>
 >
 > > Nevertheless, if I store the polymorphic function in a reference
 > > to create a closure for all kinds of output methodeis, any
 > > attemps to use that function are thwarted by the type interferer.
 > >
 > >     # let put = ref put_to_screen ;;
 > >     val put : ('_a -> unit) ref = {contents = <fun>}
 > >
 > >     # !put "test" ;;
 > >     %%%%%%test- : unit = ()
 > >
 > >     # !put 5 ;;
 > >     This expression has type int but is here used with type string
 > >
 > > How can I keep the interferer from explicitly resolving the type of v ?
 >
 > You cannot: this would be unsound.
 > Actually, this is the opposite: you want to tell in advance the
 > inferer that put is polymorphic, and that only polymorphic values
 > should be accepeted. The simplest way to do this is to define a new
 > type:
 >
 > type put = {put: 'a -> unit} ;;
 > let put = {put = put_to_screen} ;;
 > put.put "test";;
 > put.put 5;;

did you mean :

 type put = {put: 'a. 'a -> unit} ;;

or is the explicit polymorphic parameter not required anymore (like
polymorphic methods in class types) ?

--
   Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-15  7:00     ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-09-15  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrieu; +Cc: ibormuth, caml-list

From: Olivier Andrieu <andrieu@ijm.jussieu.fr>

> did you mean :
>
>  type put = {put: 'a. 'a -> unit} ;;
>
> or is the explicit polymorphic parameter not required anymore (like

Thank you for the correction. I forgot the explicit quantifier, which
is required.

Jacques Garrigue

* [SOLVED] Reference to polymorphic function ?
@ 2005-09-15 10:31   ` Ingo Bormuth
From: Ingo Bormuth @ 2005-09-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue, Stéphane Glondu; +Cc: caml-list, ingo

On 2005-09-15 08:48, Jacques Garrigue wrote:

> The simplest way to do this is to define a new type:
>
> type put = {put: 'a -> unit} ;;
> let put = {put = put_to_screen} ;;
> put.put "test";;
> put.put 5;;

Thank you !!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

On 2005-09-14 23:08, Stéphane Glondu wrote:

>                                        However, I didn't catch what
> you want to do with thoses references: maybe there is another way to
> achieve what you want?

Just for the notes:

I wrote a serilisation function to pack a quite complex data structure
into one string. That string is then used to feed a file, socket,
sha1 or encryption algorithm.
I want to reduce overhead and directly marshal the values to the
destination without generating the intermediate string whenever possible.

This is a simple profe of principal prototype :

type data =
  | Int of int
  | Float of float
  | Str of string
;;

type target =
  | Screen
  | Channel of out_channel
;;

type put =
  {
    str: string -> unit ;
    raw: 'a. 'a -> unit
  }
;;

let serialize data target =
  let put = ref {
        str = ( fun s -> () );
        raw = ( fun v -> () ) } in
  let write_value key value =
    !put.str ( "<" ^ key ^ ">" ) ;
    !put.raw value ;
    !put.str ( "</" ^ key ^ ">" ) in
  let write_data () =
    match data with
     | Int i -> write_value "int" i
     | Float f -> write_value "float" f
     | Str s -> write_value "str" s in
  let init_target =
    match target with
      | Screen -> put := {
            str = print_string ;
            raw = let f v = print_string ( Marshal.to_string v [] ) in f }
      | Channel chan -> put := {
            str = output_string chan ;
            raw = let f v = ( Marshal.to_channel chan v [] ) in f } in
  init_target ;
  write_data ()
;;

serialize ( Int 123 ) Screen
;;

serialize ( Float 3.14 ) Screen
;;

serialize ( Str "Hello" ) ( Channel ( open_out "/tmp/seri" ) )
;;