* Request for example where type annotation are required
@ 2005-09-19 20:21 Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2005-09-19 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am looking for small ML examples (using variants, modules, objects,
etc ...)

Where one needs to write type information to be able to type-check the
program with OCaml

I am developping a new typing algorithm (not unification based ;-) which
seems to accept all OCaml features and more (like higher-order type
without using a functor) with no type annotation at all. I have quite a
few examples, but all the experts on this list may have idea I did not have.

Christophe Raffalli

PS: an article and a first implementation should be available very soon.

* Re: [Caml-list] Request for example where type annotation are required
@ 2005-09-19 20:59 ` Michael Wohlwend
From: Michael Wohlwend @ 2005-09-19 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 19 September 2005 22:21, Christophe Raffalli wrote:
> I am looking for small ML examples (using variants, modules, objects,
> etc ...)
> Where one needs to write type information to be able to type-check the
> program with OCaml

As my example, this should be a try of linked objects (like dllist od extlib):

class ['a] node = object(self:'a)
    val mutable nx = nil
    method next = nx
    method set_next n = nx <- n
    method apply f  upto =
        f self; if self <> upto then self#next#apply f upto
end;;

it doesn't work; the problem is the "nil" objects to initalize it, i cannot
get this right, there are allways typing errors. Can this be defined without
type-annotations?

ahem, this one works easily :-)

class ['a] node = object(self:'a)
    val mutable nx =(Obj.magic 0 : 'a)
    method next = nx
    method set_next n = nx <- n
    method apply (f: 'a->unit)  upto =
        f self; if self <> upto then self#next#apply f upto
    initializer nx <- self
end;;

let a = new node;;

 Michael