* License clarification
@ 2005-10-21  1:46 Tato Thetza
From: Tato Thetza @ 2005-10-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm sorry to bother you all but I'd like some clarification on the Ocaml
license. First, let me state that I do not plan to modify the Ocaml
compilers, libraries, or any thing else which is included in the
official Ocaml distribution. I wouldn't even know where to start :-D.

That said, few question:
1) If I write a program or library in the ocaml language, are there any
restrictions on the licensing/distribution of source code or
bytecode/binaries produced by the ocaml compilers?

2) If I write a C extension to be linked with an ocaml program, are
there any restrictions on its license/distribution?

3) May I link a closed source (or other restrictively licensed) C
library to ocaml code?

Thanks,
Tato Thetza

* Re: [Caml-list] License clarification
@ 2005-10-21  2:16 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-10-21  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thetza; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Tato Thetza" <thetza@sent.com>

> I'm sorry to bother you all but I'd like some clarification on the Ocaml
> license. First, let me state that I do not plan to modify the Ocaml
> compilers, libraries, or any thing else which is included in the
> official Ocaml distribution. I wouldn't even know where to start :-D.
>
> That said, few question:
> 1) If I write a program or library in the ocaml language, are there any
> restrictions on the licensing/distribution of source code or
> bytecode/binaries produced by the ocaml compilers?
>
> 2) If I write a C extension to be linked with an ocaml program, are
> there any restrictions on its license/distribution?
>
> 3) May I link a closed source (or other restrictively licensed) C
> library to ocaml code?

No restrictions.
No restrictions.
Yes. (except if the license of the C library itself forbids it)

To be more precise, restrictions only appear if you modify the ocaml
runtime itself, or distribute executables including other parts of the
system (the ocaml toplevel for instance). Then you must read the
license to see what you are allowed to do.

Jacques Garrigue