* Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-21 21:59 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2005-11-21 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

[ As I'm not on the list, please Cc: the replies. Thanks ! ]

I'm trying to get findlib to work with threads support on a Mandriva
2006 (mainly to compile equeue). For this, I've recompiled the Ocaml
compiler with --with-pthread, and then findlib. However, it still
doesn't work:

[tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ cat toto.ml
let f a = a + 1
[tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ ocamlopt -thread threads.cmxa toto.ml
[tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ ocamlfind ocamlopt -thread threads.cmxa toto.ml
ocamlfind: ocamlopt does not support multi-threaded programs for your
configuration

I've tested findlib 1.0.4 and 1.1, both with OCaml 3.08.3. Any idea ?

Thanks,

Thomas
--
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas.petazzoni@enix.org
http://{thomas,sos,kos}.enix.org - Jabber: thomas.petazzoni@jabber.dk

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-22 10:54 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2005-11-22 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: caml-list

Thomas Petazzoni said:
> Hi,
>
> [ As I'm not on the list, please Cc: the replies. Thanks ! ]
>
> I'm trying to get findlib to work with threads support on a Mandriva
> 2006 (mainly to compile equeue). For this, I've recompiled the Ocaml
> compiler with --with-pthread, and then findlib. However, it still
> doesn't work:
>
> [tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ cat toto.ml
> let f a = a + 1
> [tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ ocamlopt -thread threads.cmxa toto.ml
> [tpetazzoni@thomas tmp]$ ocamlfind ocamlopt -thread threads.cmxa toto.ml
> ocamlfind: ocamlopt does not support multi-threaded programs for your
> configuration
>
> I've tested findlib 1.0.4 and 1.1, both with OCaml 3.08.3. Any idea ?

This is a configuration issue. I need the output of the configure script
of findlib to help you. Obviously, findlib did not detect that
multi-threading is supported.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-22 10:59   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2005-11-22 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> This is a configuration issue. I need the output of the configure script
> of findlib to help you. Obviously, findlib did not detect that
> multi-threading is supported.

Here is the output of the configure:

===
+ ./configure -mandir /usr/share/man -config /usr/lib/ocaml/etc/findlib.conf
Welcome to findlib version 1.1
Configuring core...
Testing threading model...
Configuring libraries...
labltk: found
camlp4: found
Configuration for dbm written to site-lib-src/dbm/META
Configuration for dynlink written to site-lib-src/dynlink/META
Configuration for graphics written to site-lib-src/graphics/META
Configuration for num written to site-lib-src/num/META
Configuration for num-top written to site-lib-src/num-top/META
Configuration for str written to site-lib-src/str/META
Configuration for threads written to site-lib-src/threads/META
Configuration for unix written to site-lib-src/unix/META
Configuration for stdlib written to site-lib-src/stdlib/META
Configuration for bigarray written to site-lib-src/bigarray/META
Configuration for labltk written to site-lib-src/labltk/META
Configuration for camlp4 written to site-lib-src/camlp4/META
Detecting compiler arguments: (extractor built) ok

About the OCAML core installation:
    Standard library:      /usr/lib/ocaml
    Binaries:              /usr/bin
    Manual pages:          /usr/local/man
    Multi-threading type:  vm
The directory of site-specific packages will be
    site-lib:              /usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib
The configuration file is written to:
    findlib config file:   /usr/lib/ocaml/etc/findlib.conf
Software will be installed:
    Libraries:             in <site-lib>/findlib
    Binaries:              /usr/bin
    Manual pages:          /usr/share/man
    topfind script:        /usr/lib/ocaml
Toolbox:                   no

Configuration has been written to Makefile.config

You can now do 'make all', and optionally 'make opt', to build ocamlfind.
===

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni
thomas.petazzoni@enix.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-22 11:15   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2005-11-22 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Hi again,

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> This is a configuration issue. I need the output of the configure script
> of findlib to help you. Obviously, findlib did not detect that
> multi-threading is supported.

Here is the output of the test made by the configure script:

[tpetazzoni@thomas findlib-1.1]$ ocamlc -custom -thread -o
itest-aux/simple unix.cma threads.cma itest-aux/simple_threads.ml
i loop index unused ?

I don't know if it's useful or not.

Thanks !

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni
thomas.petazzoni@enix.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-23  8:56     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2005-11-23  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: caml-list

Thomas Petazzoni said:
> Hi again,
>
> Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>
>> This is a configuration issue. I need the output of the configure script
>> of findlib to help you. Obviously, findlib did not detect that
>> multi-threading is supported.
>
> Here is the output of the test made by the configure script:
>
> [tpetazzoni@thomas findlib-1.1]$ ocamlc -custom -thread -o
> itest-aux/simple unix.cma threads.cma itest-aux/simple_threads.ml
> i loop index unused ?
>
> I don't know if it's useful or not.

Yes, very useful. Obviously, the printed warning prevents findlib from
detecting posix threading. This is a bug in findlib-1.1.

You can work around this by setting the variable OCAML_THREADS=posix in
Makefile.config.

@ 2005-11-23  9:04       ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2005-11-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:56:37AM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Yes, very useful. Obviously, the printed warning prevents findlib from
> detecting posix threading. This is a bug in findlib-1.1.
>
> You can work around this by setting the variable OCAML_THREADS=posix in
> Makefile.config.

Is this a fair choice on on all Linux based systems?

/me wondering to set this in the findlib Debian package ...

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-23  9:06       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2005-11-23  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> Yes, very useful. Obviously, the printed warning prevents findlib from
> detecting posix threading. This is a bug in findlib-1.1.

Ok, thanks for investigating this problem. Note that the problem was
also present in findlib-1.0.4 (same warning).

> You can work around this by setting the variable OCAML_THREADS=posix in
> Makefile.config.

Ok, I'll try that.

Thanks !

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni
thomas.petazzoni@enix.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Trouble with findlib and threads
@ 2005-11-23 12:07         ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2005-11-23 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Zacchiroli; +Cc: caml-list, caml-list

Stefano Zacchiroli said:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:56:37AM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>> Yes, very useful. Obviously, the printed warning prevents findlib from
>> detecting posix threading. This is a bug in findlib-1.1.
>>
>> You can work around this by setting the variable OCAML_THREADS=posix in
>> Makefile.config.
>
> Is this a fair choice on on all Linux based systems?

Yes.

Gerd