* [Caml-list] Unix + UDP networking
@ 2005-12-05  2:13 Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2005-12-05  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm looking at the functions for sending/receiving over a
datagram-based socket, and I'm confused about the return value of
recvfrom.

val recvfrom : file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> msg_flag list ->
int * sockaddr

What is the int value returned? The bytes actually read?

Jonathan

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix + UDP networking
@ 2005-12-05 10:03 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2005-12-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Roewen; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:13:33PM +1300, Jonathan Roewen wrote:
> I'm looking at the functions for sending/receiving over a
> datagram-based socket, and I'm confused about the return value of
> recvfrom.
>
> val recvfrom : file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> msg_flag list ->
> int * sockaddr
>
> What is the int value returned? The bytes actually read?

Have a look at the code in otherlibs/unix/sendrecv.c:unix_recvfrom.
The int is the return value from recvfrom(2), which is the number of
bytes received, or 0 if the peer has performed a shutdown.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.