* Re: Re: [Caml-list] compiler bug?
@ 2006-05-18  6:32 Dan Koppel
From: Dan Koppel @ 2006-05-18  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi John,
  Thanks for your answer.  I'm running on a Power Mac.  Why does the compiler store on the stack when there's a function call but not otherwise.  I learned in basic compiler theory that when a function is called, you save all the registers before entering the function.  So why would the compiler not simply use the register for the variable, knowing that when the time comes to call the function, the register will be saved at that point in time.  That would seem a much better way to do things (thus avoiding the present problem).
   - Dan