* OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  1:22 Matt Gushee
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-07-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, all--

I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?

I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
entirely welcome, given the audience).

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  1:27 ` Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2006-07-26  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

Matt Gushee wrote:
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?
>
> I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
> and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
> entirely welcome, given the audience).

One might assume that this is connected to their F# work - although
those in the know could certainly give a more complete/accurate answer...

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  7:36 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-07-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 07:22:17PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?
[...]

They have developed F#, a OCaml-port without OO-layer.

Also some Haskell-people are at M$, so I think they see
that FPLs are a powerful tool.

> I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
> and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
> entirely welcome, given the audience).

I was wondering since when M$ is part of the OCaml consortium.
I think they weren't from the beginning on. (Maybe this information
could be added to the OCaml-pages, where the consortium is mentioned?!).

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  8:15 ` Virgile Prevosto
From: Virgile Prevosto @ 2006-07-26  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le mar 25 jui 2006 19:22:17 CEST,
Matt Gushee <matt@gushee.net> a écrit :
> I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
> Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?

This is a bit hidden in Microsoft's site, but according to this page
(see "The Right Tools for the Job" item)
<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/tools/sdv-case.mspx>,
Ocaml is used in their Static Driver Verifier (SDV).
--
E tutto per oggi, a la prossima volta.
Virgile

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  8:18 Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2006-07-26  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

FWIW, Microsoft seems to ship some static analysis program coded in Ocaml
(SDV) inside the Windows Driver Kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/tools/sdv-case.mspx

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net