* To Dissect a Mockingbird
@ 2006-07-28 11:15 Oliver Bandel
       [not found] ` <9C312333-30AB-4683-A3A9-8D54FEB438B8@iais.fraunhofer.de>
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-07-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I maybe have mentioned this text a while ago, but maybe not;
so here comes the pointer to an interesting text.

Bcause I now explore Laws of Form in Detail, I remembered this
text, and thought it might of interest for the OCaml/FPL-people.

This text I mean:
  http://users.bigpond.net.au/d.keenan/Lambda/index.htm

Someone who knows it or already worked with these graphical
notations of FP-Programs?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] To Dissect a Mockingbird
       [not found] ` <9C312333-30AB-4683-A3A9-8D54FEB438B8@iais.fraunhofer.de>
@ 2006-07-28 14:40   ` Oliver Bandel
       [not found]     ` <8B7E03E8-7C44-49C3-91EF-AC5E4EEFEB39@iais.fraunhofer.de>
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-07-28 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 04:15:54PM +0200, Dr. Axel Poign wrote:
> I am the happy owner of a copy of Spencer-Browns book which I got
> interested in in the early 70's. I actually found the book in
> Blackwell's in Oxford, where it was in the section "Religions" (nomen
> est omen?).  Further I own a manuscript on "The Arithmetic of
> closure" by Francisco Varela

Can you send me a copy of this paper?
(scanned or as paper-copies)?!
(Or at least mention, where to find it (ISBN)?!)

> (then at the Department of Anatomy at
> the University of Colorado, Denver) who related Spencer-Brown to
> Scott's work, and finally as a more accessible reference:
>
> A Calculus for Self-Reference
> Francisco Varela
> Int. Journal General Systems, 1975, Vol.2, p.8-34
> Gordon and Breach Scientific Publishers Ltd.
> Great Britain

This one I have somewhere in my paper copies; I found this article
in a library.

But to understand it, I first have to jump into LoF-details.

Some poeple said they had to re-read this book many times,
until they really understand it.
I hope to be faster here ;-)

> The stuff is quite interesting reading for historical reasons.

Only for that reasons?

LoF seems to be - even if it's mentioned that it's a mathematical book - quite good
for philosophical reasoning, and makes sense in a cybernetics-context
(cybernetics, radical constructivism, Heinz von Foerster, Maturana, ...).

And therefore there is a linkage to Zen/Buddhism
(for example look at Heinz von Foerster's text "Objects: Tokens for Eigen-Behaviors",
 in german: "Gegenstände: greifbare Symbole für (Eigen-)Verhalten").

Also interesting on this topic: Maturana's work.

But before we will be too off-topic, I will stop here. ;-)

Best,
   Oliver Bandel

--
"Objectivity is a subject's delusion that
 observing can be done without him."

@ 2006-07-29 12:44       ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2006-07-29 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 01:50:30PM +0200, Dr. Axel Poign wrote:
[...]
> >Only for that reasons?
> >

> Maybe, I should reread but essentiially, yes, at least from the
> perspective of semantics of programming languages. In philosophical
> terms it somewhat compares to Frege's work, which is another good
> reading.
[...]

Louis H. Kauffman, a mathematician/topologist is working on LoF and
has researched a lot on that topic.

He sent me this link:  http://www.math.uic.edu/~kauffman/Laws.pdf

Ciao,
   Oliver Bandel