* wince question
@ 2006-09-27 17:21 micha
From: micha @ 2006-09-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

my interest in ocaml on WinCE comes from the fun I would had to
demonstrate the power of ocaml to my collegues. We are developing
navigation software components  in c++ and one primary platform for
this are PDAs with WinCE. The chance of switching away from c++ is
lesser than zero without being able to run on that platform. Even JAVA
runs on those devices allthough a smaller one than normal and a little
slow. Ignoring the fact that maybe only few people would like to do a
port, what would be the primary tasks to do it? WinCE is quite
different from Win32, I don't know how open the ocaml-source is with
respect to porting it to another platform (specially ARM CPU).

comments and hints are greatly welcome :-)

 Michael

* Re: [Caml-list] wince question
@ 2006-09-27 19:48 ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2006-09-27 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: micha; +Cc: caml users

The O'Caml VM is fairly easy to port.

A minimal libc should be enough (excluding Unix module & Threading).
The rest will require a bit of work, but likely not too much. I have
the VM running in a freestanding environment (with vmthreads, without
Unix module), so definitely portable ;-)

As for ocamlopt, I wouldn't know.

Jonathan

On 9/28/06, micha <micha-1@fantasymail.de> wrote:

> my interest in ocaml on WinCE comes from the fun I would had to
> demonstrate the power of ocaml to my collegues. We are developing
> navigation software components  in c++ and one primary platform for
> this are PDAs with WinCE. The chance of switching away from c++ is
> lesser than zero without being able to run on that platform. Even JAVA
> runs on those devices allthough a smaller one than normal and a little
> slow. Ignoring the fact that maybe only few people would like to do a
> port, what would be the primary tasks to do it? WinCE is quite
> different from Win32, I don't know how open the ocaml-source is with
> respect to porting it to another platform (specially ARM CPU).
>
> comments and hints are greatly welcome :-)
>
>  Michael

* Re: [Caml-list] wince question
@ 2006-09-28  7:29   ` Neil Bartlett
From: Neil Bartlett @ 2006-09-28  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Roewen; +Cc: micha, caml users

No problems at all with OCaml (including native code compilation) on
the ARM. I am already running OCaml on a Sharp Zaurus, which is a
Linux-based PDA device with an Intel Xscale processor.

Everything compiled and built straight out of the box - it works like
a dream. Of course WinCE is a whole different kettle of fish.

Regards
Neil

On 9/27/06, Jonathan Roewen <jonathan.roewen@gmail.com> wrote:
> The O'Caml VM is fairly easy to port.
>
> A minimal libc should be enough (excluding Unix module & Threading).
> The rest will require a bit of work, but likely not too much. I have
> the VM running in a freestanding environment (with vmthreads, without
> Unix module), so definitely portable ;-)
>
> As for ocamlopt, I wouldn't know.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 9/28/06, micha <micha-1@fantasymail.de> wrote:
> >
> > my interest in ocaml on WinCE comes from the fun I would had to
> > demonstrate the power of ocaml to my collegues. We are developing
> > navigation software components  in c++ and one primary platform for
> > this are PDAs with WinCE. The chance of switching away from c++ is
> > lesser than zero without being able to run on that platform. Even JAVA
> > runs on those devices allthough a smaller one than normal and a little
> > slow. Ignoring the fact that maybe only few people would like to do a
> > port, what would be the primary tasks to do it? WinCE is quite
> > different from Win32, I don't know how open the ocaml-source is with
> > respect to porting it to another platform (specially ARM CPU).
> >
> > comments and hints are greatly welcome :-)
> >
> >  Michael

Neil Bartlett
Senior Technical Consultant, Integility Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7043 8328
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7043 8329

LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/neilbartlett