* Why isn't ocaml distribution providing META files itself ?
@ 2006-10-11 15:31 Guillaume Rousse
From: Guillaume Rousse @ 2006-10-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I just found a subtle problem on mandriva: ocamlfind returns camltk to
be present, whereas it is not. Actually, the problems comes from the
fact than findlibd generate META files during its installation for all
core libraries installed on the build host, and those files get
distributed in the findlib package itself. Which can perfectly get
installed without camltk...

This is strictly a mandriva packaging bug. However, trying to provide
informations about package X in another package Y, because X doesn't do
it directly, is likely to produce many other similar problems. Is there
a reason to not provide META files directly from ocaml distribution itself ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
Projet Estime, INRIA

* Re: [Caml-list] Why isn't ocaml distribution providing META files itself ?
@ 2006-10-11 19:16 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2006-10-11 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Rousse; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 05:31:47PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> I just found a subtle problem on mandriva: ocamlfind returns camltk to
> be present, whereas it is not. Actually, the problems comes from the
> fact than findlibd generate META files during its installation for all
> core libraries installed on the build host, and those files get
> distributed in the findlib package itself. Which can perfectly get
> installed without camltk...
>
> This is strictly a mandriva packaging bug. However, trying to provide
> informations about package X in another package Y, because X doesn't do
> it directly, is likely to produce many other similar problems. Is there
> a reason to not provide META files directly from ocaml distribution itself ?

I think ocamlfind is very simple and useful and should be available
in base OCaml itself.

Hang on, this question comes from INRIA ..

> Projet Estime, INRIA

:-)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!

* Re: [Caml-list] Why isn't ocaml distribution providing META files itself ?
@ 2006-10-31  9:47   ` Guillaume Rousse
From: Guillaume Rousse @ 2006-10-31  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 05:31:47PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> I just found a subtle problem on mandriva: ocamlfind returns camltk to
>> be present, whereas it is not. Actually, the problems comes from the
>> fact than findlibd generate META files during its installation for all
>> core libraries installed on the build host, and those files get
>> distributed in the findlib package itself. Which can perfectly get
>> installed without camltk...
>>
>> This is strictly a mandriva packaging bug. However, trying to provide
>> informations about package X in another package Y, because X doesn't do
>> it directly, is likely to produce many other similar problems. Is there
>> a reason to not provide META files directly from ocaml distribution itself ?
>
> I think ocamlfind is very simple and useful and should be available
> in base OCaml itself.
That would have far most side-effects. I'm just advocating shipping data
files for ocamlfind.

> Hang on, this question comes from INRIA ..
They are different teams at INRIA :)