From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Debian or Ububtu (reprise)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:28:58 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:52:07PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 17:27:08 -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> > Some of this may apply to OCaml, and how you intend to make use of
> > OCaml.  For instance, assuming strong support for OCaml in both Ubuntu
> > and Debian, Ubuntu is likely to get new versions of OCaml tools,
> > libraries, and parsers more quickly than the main Debian release
> > branches (Stable and Testing, specifically), while with Debian they're
> > likely to be more stable when first introduced.  Also, while wholly new
> > tools related to OCaml development will be more likely to be eventually
> > included in Debian, they'll typically show up more quickly in Ubuntu (if
> > they show up at all).
> >
> I don't think that's true.
> As far as I know, Ubuntu doesn't have any people involved in ocaml
> packaging, so the ocaml-related packages in Ubuntu are just those taken
> from Debian every few months.  I've yet to see a case where Ubuntu gets
> a new version of an ocaml package more quickly than Debian.

This is definitely true.  The Debian-ocaml-maint team does superb work
in bringing OCaml and a whole array of packages to Debian.  Ubuntu
"inherits" these packages, and sometimes they are broken, as for
instance they are right now in Ubuntu Edgy (incompatible versions of
various key libraries are installed, making building anything more
complex than a trivial program impossible).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!