* Books
@ 2007-01-15 14:17 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-01-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have Practical
OCaml:

  http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html

That's fine. But the list doesn't have "OCaml for Scientists" either. ;-)

Objective CAML for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-15 19:38 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-01-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:17:55PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:

> I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have Practical
> OCaml:
>
>   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html

Hmmmm .. I wouldn't recommend adding it (Practical OCaml that is, not
OCaml for Scientists) ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat UK Limited

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-15 19:57   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-01-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 15 January 2007 19:38, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:17:55PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have
> > Practical OCaml:
> >
> >   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html
>
> Hmmmm .. I wouldn't recommend adding it (Practical OCaml that is, not
> OCaml for Scientists) ...

Practical OCaml is definitely on my top five favourite OCaml books published
in English. Much better than Practical Lisp - that book doesn't even cover
OCaml.

@ 2007-01-15 19:57   ` Gabriel Kerneis
From: Gabriel Kerneis @ 2007-01-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:38:41 +0000, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> a
écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:17:55PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> >
> > I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have
> > Practical OCaml:
> >   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html
> Hmmmm .. I wouldn't recommend adding it (Practical OCaml that is, not
> OCaml for Scientists) ...

Why not ? (I haven't read it)
--
Gabriel Kerneis

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-15 20:08     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2007-01-15 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 15 janv. 07 à 20:57, Gabriel Kerneis a écrit :

> Why not ? (I haven't read it)

Me neither but you may find explanations in the comments (and links)
there :

<http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1803>.

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-16  9:27     ` Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2007-01-16  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> writes:

> On Monday 15 January 2007 19:38, Richard Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:17:55PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
>> > I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have
>> > Practical OCaml:
>> >
>> >   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html
>>
>> Hmmmm .. I wouldn't recommend adding it (Practical OCaml that is, not
>> OCaml for Scientists) ...
>
> Practical OCaml is definitely on my top five favourite OCaml books published
> in English.

But there are only five books about OCaml published in English, so
it has to be on your top five :)

> Much better than Practical Lisp - that book doesn't even cover
> OCaml.
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
> Objective CAML for Scientists
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-16 14:33     ` mfmorss
From: mfmorss @ 2007-01-16 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Kerneis; +Cc: caml-list, caml-list-bounces

Practical Ocaml really is a terrible book, full of useless blather and
long, undocumented and unexeplained pieces of code.  I would not say that
it is completely useless, but it is so annoyingly bad that I would not
recommend it to anyone.

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-16 17:28       ` Kai Kuehne
From: Kai Kuehne @ 2007-01-16 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

On 1/16/07, mfmorss@aep.com <mfmorss@aep.com> wrote:
> Practical Ocaml really is a terrible book, full of useless blather and
> long, undocumented and unexeplained pieces of code.  I would not say that
> it is completely useless, but it is so annoyingly bad that I would not
> recommend it to anyone.

I'm reading Practical Ocaml at the moment and agree
with you. I just didn't find any other (printed and buyable)
english book out there. I wouldn't recommend it too.

Greetings
Kai

who will probably read the ora-book-pdf to learn ocaml

* Re: [Caml-list] Books
@ 2007-01-16 19:06         ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-01-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 17:28, Kai Kuehne wrote:
> I'm reading Practical Ocaml at the moment and agree
> with you. I just didn't find any other (printed and buyable)
> english book out there. I wouldn't recommend it too.

The freely available first chapter of my book "OCaml for Scientists" covers
the basics of OCaml:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/chapter1.html

The remainder of the book should be accessible to people from a variety of
disciplines and covers topics including numerical analysis, parsing,
visualisation using OpenGL and optimisation. The final chapter walks through
five complete applications written in OCaml. The code from the visualisation
and final chapters is freely available:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/visualisation/
  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/complete/

You may also enjoy our "Benefits of OCaml" pages, that discuss various
language features and also has several example programs (symbolic
manipulation, a tiny interpreter, mandelbrot renderer, ray tracer and maze
generator):

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ocaml/

There are a couple of demos that haven't been linked in yet. A rabbit
renderer:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/bunny/

and a 19-line Sudoku solver:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/sudoku/

HTH!

@ 2007-01-21 17:33 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2007-01-21 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

> I notice the list of OCaml books on INRIA's website doesn't have
Practical
> OCaml:
>
>   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html
>
> That's fine. But the list doesn't have "OCaml for Scientists" either. ;-)

As a general policy, we need to receive a complimentary copy of a book
before deciding whether to endorse it or not on our web site.  The
publisher of "Practical OCaml" promised one but did not deliver.
We're still waiting for our copy of your book :-)

- Xavier Leroy