* GLCaml
@ 2007-02-24  3:52 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-02-24  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Anyone heard about or used the GLCaml library that provides OpenGL to OCaml
functions:

  http://glcaml.sourceforge.net/

I've used LablGL a lot and, while it is excellent, it is very out of date.
GLCaml claims to be much more up to date so I'm surprised not to have heard
of it before.

I really think this is a fantastically important piece of work (assuming it
works!). I'd love to see unsafe, low-level bindings to the whole of a recent
OpenGL (with extensions) available from OCaml. I don't know the author
(Elliott Oti) but his example code could leverage OCaml a lot more. I suspect
this project will gain a lot from more experienced programmers helping to
write a safe high-level OCaml API on top of these low-level bindings.

I've been thinking about writing another planet renderer recently, using
something like ROAM:

  http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/departments/irg3/ws0405/cg/rcomp/29/x117.html

OCaml is ideal for this kind of work and should be able to match the
performance of C++ whilst being many times more concise. I think this could
be a great demo of OCaml!

OCaml for Scientists

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-02-24  3:58 UTC | newest]