* A web toolkit for OCaml (logging, RSS, etc)
@ 2007-03-29 23:37 Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-03-29 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Gerd Stolpmann, Gabriel Kerneis

Folks,

My forays into binding OCaml to Ruby have failed and I'm thinking
about going all OCaml.

Assuming that I'm running naked nethttpd as my web server, how should
I implement logging of HTTP requests to disk (a-la Apache)? Is this
something that exists somewhere?

Also, what XML package for OCaml is the easiest for publishing RSS
and parsing XHTML?

I looked at several possible options this week. On the one hand, Alex
Baretta graciously provided me with source code for AS/XCaml which I
found overwhelmingly complex and I totally dislike how OCaml code is
embedded in Ocsigen's templates. On the other hand, I managed to get
mod_caml up and running and compile ocamlnet.

I'm thinking of pairing Bruno De Fraine's "Toy implementation of
Zope's TAL" [1] with nethttpd and running my site on that. As an
alternative, I may be able to plug Bruno's templates into mod_caml or
Ocsigen.

I'm looking for advice here.

	Thanks in advance, Joel

[1] http://tinyurl.com/28xvj8

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] A web toolkit for OCaml (logging, RSS, etc)
@ 2007-03-29 23:44 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-03-29 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 30 March 2007 00:37, Joel Reymont wrote:
> My forays into binding OCaml to Ruby have failed and I'm thinking
> about going all OCaml.

I'd go for separate programs with message communication.

> Assuming that I'm running naked nethttpd as my web server, how should
> I implement logging of HTTP requests to disk (a-la Apache)? Is this
> something that exists somewhere?

I believe there are bindings for things like log4 but I can't remember where.

> Also, what XML package for OCaml is the easiest for publishing RSS
> and parsing XHTML?

I've only ever used XML-Light. It is great when it works but it doesn't handle
things like incremental parsing and whitespace. I believe Gerd's XML
libraries are more compliant but harder to use.

OCaml for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] A web toolkit for OCaml (logging, RSS, etc)
@ 2007-03-30 22:03 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-03-30 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: Caml List

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:37:16AM +0100, Joel Reymont wrote:
> Also, what XML package for OCaml is the easiest for publishing RSS
> and parsing XHTML?

COCANWIKI (very recent versions) use OCamlRSS and xml-light.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat