* Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22  7:42 Jason Ganetsky
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason Ganetsky @ 2007-04-22  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, and new to OCaml (although, have some experience with
SML).

Anyway, I have recently written an OCaml thread pool implementation, on top
of the Thread and Event modules. I did this for the purpose of exploiting an
SMP system I have, and was a disappointed to read today that OCaml doesn't
support multiprocessor systems.

I played around with it a little, and discovered that by liberally calling
Thread.yield, I do cajole my threads into running on multiple processors. Is
this behavior normal, or have I discovered a problem with the Thread module?
I'm certainly happy that I can get it to use my SMP... but I will stop it at
once if you tell me that this is unsafe.

-Jason

* Re: [Caml-list] Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22  8:44 ` Richard Jones
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-04-22  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Ganetsky; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 03:42:09AM -0400, Jason Ganetsky wrote:
> I'm new to this list, and new to OCaml (although, have some experience with
> SML).

There's a beginner's list:

> Anyway, I have recently written an OCaml thread pool implementation, on top
> of the Thread and Event modules. I did this for the purpose of exploiting an
> SMP system I have, and was a disappointed to read today that OCaml doesn't
> support multiprocessor systems.
>
> I played around with it a little, and discovered that by liberally calling
> Thread.yield, I do cajole my threads into running on multiple processors. Is
> this behavior normal, or have I discovered a problem with the Thread module?
> I'm certainly happy that I can get it to use my SMP... but I will stop it at
> once if you tell me that this is unsafe.

The garbage collector doesn't support concurrency, so there's a big
global lock around all OCaml code.

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2002/11/64c14acb90cb14bedb2cacb73338fb15.en.html

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22 10:30 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2007-04-22 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Ganetsky; +Cc: caml-list

> Anyway, I have recently written an OCaml thread pool implementation, on
> top of the Thread and Event modules. I did this for the purpose of
> exploiting an SMP system I have, and was a disappointed to read today
> that OCaml doesn't support multiprocessor systems.

You are correct that OCaml *threads* do not exploit multiprocessing.
Basically, only one OCaml thread can run at a time.

You can still get parallelism in several ways.  First, external C
libraries called from OCaml can run in parallel with OCaml code
provided the OCaml/C interface for these libraries makes uses of the
"blocking section" mechanism.  Second, process-level parallelism works
very well with programs written in message-passing style, using e.g.
OcamlMPI or OCamlP3L.

> I played around with it a little, and discovered that by liberally
> calling Thread.yield, I do cajole my threads into running on multiple
> processors.

This is an illusion.  Thread.yield gives more opportunities to the OS
scheduler to reschedule a Caml thread on a different processor, but
you're not gaining parallelism this way and you might actually lose
performance (because of cache ping-pong effects and the like).

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22 10:58 ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2007-04-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jason Ganetsky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list, and new to OCaml (although, have some experience with
> SML).
>
> Anyway, I have recently written an OCaml thread pool implementation, on top
> of the Thread and Event modules. I did this for the purpose of exploiting an
> SMP system I have, and was a disappointed to read today that OCaml doesn't
> support multiprocessor systems.

For real multi-procesor parallelism, have a look at this:

    http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~dicosmo/ocamlp3l/

Haven't tried it myself, but its on my todo list.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
"life is too long to be an expert at harmful things, including
such evilness as C++ and perl." -- Erik Naggum

* RE: [Caml-list] Multiprocessor support in OCaml
@ 2007-04-22 11:55   ` Don Syme
From: Don Syme @ 2007-04-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy, Jason Ganetsky; +Cc: caml-list

Just to mention there is a way of getting multiple concurrently executing OCaml threads in a program, which I discovered a while back: you can statically link multiple independent copies of the OCaml runtime, each into its own DLL (on Windows). This allows multiple independent OCaml threads to run concurrently.

I presume this technique works well enough for SMP up to 2-4 processors, though have never done any serious performance testing.

The OCaml programs must not, of course, trade OCaml values, but can communicate in-process by other means (e.g. shared C memory or some other message passing technique).

Regards,
Don

P.S. I've only used this technique on Windows.

@ 2007-04-22 13:23   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-04-22 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sunday 22 April 2007 11:58, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> For real multi-procesor parallelism, have a look at this:
>
>     http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~dicosmo/ocamlp3l/
>
> Haven't tried it myself, but its on my todo list.

Has anyone tries this? Got any demos? I've been meaning to look at it for a
while as well... :-)

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?e

* Re: Multiprocessor support in OCaml
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-22 17:32 ` Zheng Li
       [not found]   ` <ab351c020704221052v50ce66b6maec299889a2c1f1f@mail.gmail.com>
From: Zheng Li @ 2007-04-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm working on a process back-end of STM library. It's now supported by Google
SOC and expected to release after the summer (and maybe earlier). With it, you
will be able to do shared-memory (supposing that's the style your want)
parallel programming based on processes, which in turn gives you speedup.

If interested, you can have a taste first through the (vm)thread back-end
currently available (check my homepage below), though it won't really speed up
your program because of the well-known global lock of OCaml threads.

--
Zheng Li
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~li

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Multiprocessor support in OCaml
       [not found]   ` <ab351c020704221052v50ce66b6maec299889a2c1f1f@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-04-22 17:52     ` Jason Ganetsky
From: Jason Ganetsky @ 2007-04-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2007-04-23  8:10       ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-04-23  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Ganetsky; +Cc: caml-list

On 4/22/07, Jason Ganetsky <jason.ganetsky@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, the solution I'm going for now is to load all my data up, call
>Gc.Compact(), and then fork off child processes. The workload that I'm
>parallelizing is read-only... so I think this will work well with Linux
>copy-on-write forking.

You might also want to look at the Ancient library
(http://merjis.com/developers/ancient) which will allow you to share
data read-only between unrelated processes, backed by a file.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat