* ocamlbuild and ocaml(duce)find
@ 2007-06-08  8:55 Jaap Boender
From: Jaap Boender @ 2007-06-08  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm trying to build with ocamlbuild a project that is divided over multiple
directories and uses ocamlducefind. So, as indicated before on this list, I
run ocamlbuild with the options -ocamldep="ocamlducefind ocamldep" etc. and
in order to get all directories compiled, I'm adding include tags for all
directories. So far so good, but now Ocamlbuild complains:

Uncaught exception: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "io")

and indeed, the io directory (which contains a module of my project) is
missing from the _build directory.

What seems to happen is that during the compilation of a module A, the io
module is not necessary, so it doesn't get copied to the _build directory (?)
but ocamlbuild nonetheless passes -I options to the compiler for all the
flags that I've included. Vanilla ocaml doesn't mind if a directory passed
with -I doesn't exist, but apparently ocaml(duce)find does.

Could anybody give me some pointers as to how to solve this problem? Write an
ocamlbuild plugin (how? documentation is somewhat scanty...)? Pass some more
options? Any advice would be welcome.

  Jaap Boender
--
Groupe PPS, Université Paris VII
Bureau 5C01, tél. 01 44 27 85 04

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild and ocaml(duce)find
@ 2007-06-08 11:51 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-06-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaap Boender; +Cc: caml-list

On 6/8/07, Jaap Boender <Jaap.Boender@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build with ocamlbuild a project that is divided over multiple
> directories and uses ocamlducefind. So, as indicated before on this list, I
> run ocamlbuild with the options -ocamldep="ocamlducefind ocamldep" etc. and
> in order to get all directories compiled, I'm adding include tags for all
> directories. So far so good, but now Ocamlbuild complains:
>
> Uncaught exception: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "io")

[...]

That's a problem that we already faced, there is two solutions:

1/ If I well remember the last version of ocamlfind no more complains
about this since Gerd integrated our patch for this.

2/ Perform some mkdir _build/... as a workaround before running ocamlbuild

[...]

> Could anybody give me some pointers as to how to solve this problem? Write an
> ocamlbuild plugin (how? documentation is somewhat scanty...)? Pass some more
> options? Any advice would be welcome.

Any contribution too :)

Documentation pointers (including a plugin example):
http://gallium.inria.fr/~pouillar

--
Nicolas Pouillard