* windows and C libs
@ 2007-06-20 13:37 Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2007-06-20 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

WINDOWS USERS: Is there a consensus on windows on where the .lib and
.dll should go?  If not, how about to decide that here so efforts to
port libs to windows can set it as the default path.

WIN32 OCAML: When I give a path -- say -cclib "C:\Documents and
Settings\USER\Mes documents\lib\libx.lib" -- containing spaces (but
quoted) to include into a library, it is not well quoted when on uses
the library (to compile a program).  I tried "\"...\"" to  not avail.
Is there a way around that or must it be considered like a bug?

Regards,
ChriS

* Re: [Caml-list] windows and C libs
@ 2007-06-21  6:43 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2007-06-21  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On 6/20/07, Christophe TROESTLER <Christophe.Troestler@umh.ac.be> wrote:

> WINDOWS USERS: Is there a consensus on windows on where the .lib and
> .dll should go?  If not, how about to decide that here so efforts to
> port libs to windows can set it as the default path.

Do you mean .lib/.dll files of some specific OCaml library? They
usually go to %OCAMLLIB% and  %OCAMLLIB%\stublibs respectively. What's
wrong with it?

> WIN32 OCAML: When I give a path -- say -cclib "C:\Documents and
> Settings\USER\Mes documents\lib\libx.lib" -- containing spaces (but
> quoted) to include into a library, it is not well quoted when on uses
> the library (to compile a program).  I tried "\"...\"" to  not avail.
> Is there a way around that or must it be considered like a bug?

An obvious workaround is to use the short name:
C:\Docume~1\USER\Mesdoc~1\lib\libx.lib

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] windows and C libs
@ 2007-06-21  8:35   ` Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2007-06-21  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, "Dmitry Bely" <dmitry.bely@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Christophe TROESTLER <Christophe.Troestler@umh.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > WINDOWS USERS: Is there a consensus on windows on where the .lib and
> > .dll should go?  If not, how about to decide that here so efforts to
> > port libs to windows can set it as the default path.
>
> Do you mean .lib/.dll files of some specific OCaml library? They
> usually go to %OCAMLLIB% and  %OCAMLLIB%\stublibs respectively. What's
> wrong with it?

No, I mean C library files -- e.g. where should the C-pcre libraries
(libpcre.lib, dllpcre.dll) go?

> > WIN32 OCAML: When I give a path -- say -cclib "C:\Documents and
> > Settings\USER\Mes documents\lib\libx.lib" -- containing spaces (but
> > quoted) to include into a library, it is not well quoted when on uses
> > the library (to compile a program).  I tried "\"...\"" to  not avail.
> > Is there a way around that or must it be considered like a bug?
>
> An obvious workaround is to use the short name:
> C:\Docume~1\USER\Mesdoc~1\lib\libx.lib

Yes but it is not convenient because it is not returned by, say,
%OCAMLLIB%.  Is there a command to transform a long name into a short
one?  What about vista?

Thanks,

@ 2007-06-21 18:48     ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2007-06-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 6/21/07, Christophe TROESTLER <Christophe.Troestler+ocaml@umh.ac.be> wrote:

> > > WINDOWS USERS: Is there a consensus on windows on where the .lib and
> > > .dll should go?  If not, how about to decide that here so efforts to
> > > port libs to windows can set it as the default path.
> >
> > Do you mean .lib/.dll files of some specific OCaml library? They
> > usually go to %OCAMLLIB% and  %OCAMLLIB%\stublibs respectively. What's
> > wrong with it?
>
> No, I mean C library files -- e.g. where should the C-pcre libraries
> (libpcre.lib, dllpcre.dll) go?

They are library files to link with Ocaml programs, aren't they?
(otherwise why are you duplicating Ocaml naming convention). If yes I
believe my advice is correct - you should install C glue libraries
into the locations mentioned above (you may use %OCAMLLIB%\xxxx to not
pollute the root lib directory. Then you specify -I +xxxx while
linking).

> > > WIN32 OCAML: When I give a path -- say -cclib "C:\Documents and
> > > Settings\USER\Mes documents\lib\libx.lib" -- containing spaces (but
> > > quoted) to include into a library, it is not well quoted when on uses
> > > the library (to compile a program).  I tried "\"...\"" to  not avail.
> > > Is there a way around that or must it be considered like a bug?
> >
> > An obvious workaround is to use the short name:
> > C:\Docume~1\USER\Mesdoc~1\lib\libx.lib
>
> Yes but it is not convenient because it is not returned by, say,
> %OCAMLLIB%.

Use there the short name also:

set OCAMLLIB=C:\Progra~1\Ocaml\lib

> Is there a command to transform a long name into a short
> one?  What about vista?

Yes, it's possible, but probably still not what you need:

[short.bat]
echo %~s1

C:\Temp>short.bat "C:\Documents and Settings"
C:\DOCUME~1

- Dmitry Bely

* RE: windows and C libs
@ 2007-06-21 19:33 olsongt
From: olsongt @ 2007-06-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > Do you mean .lib/.dll files of some specific OCaml library? They
> > usually go to %OCAMLLIB% and  %OCAMLLIB%\stublibs respectively. What's
> > wrong with it?
>
> No, I mean C library files -- e.g. where should the C-pcre libraries
> (libpcre.lib, dllpcre.dll) go?

In the MSVC toolchain, you can add the paths to your LIB and INCLUDE and PATH environment variables, or just drop them in the SDK directories if you don't mind polluting that.

DLL's can either go in the . directory, which is the first place checked, or somewhere in the path.