* Ocaml license
@ 2007-07-02  1:27 Grant Olson
From: Grant Olson @ 2007-07-02  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm getting ready to release a little open source app I wrote in Ocaml.
This is a standalone app compiled with Ocaml.  I tried to read the license,
and between the "Q License" and the LGPL I'm not really sure what applies to
me.  I'm assuming the resulting binary links against LPGL code, so I need to
include at least that.

Can anyone tell me what I should put in my license file? Or should I just
paste in everything from the LICENSE document?

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml license
@ 2007-07-02  2:06 ` Christopher L Conway
From: Christopher L Conway @ 2007-07-02  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Olson; +Cc: caml-list

You shouldn't have to worry about the OCaml license at all. The LGPL
allows you to distribute code that merely links against the standard
library (as opposed to extending or modifying the library code) under
a license of your choosing.

Chris

@ 2007-07-02 18:26   ` Eric Cooper
From: Eric Cooper @ 2007-07-02 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:06:05PM -0400, Christopher L Conway wrote:
> You shouldn't have to worry about the OCaml license at all. The LGPL
> allows you to distribute code that merely links against the standard
> library (as opposed to extending or modifying the library code) under
> a license of your choosing.

Agreed.  For example, the approx and ml-donkey servers in Debian are
OCaml apps licensed under the GPL.

* RE: [Caml-list] Ocaml license
@ 2007-07-02 21:00   ` Grant Olson
From: Grant Olson @ 2007-07-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christopher L Conway'; +Cc: caml-list

Thanks, but I'm asking if I still need to indicate that I'm using LGPL code
and reproduce the copywrite, or the the generated .exe is considered a
separate work.  That is, does it link to any of the LGPL code?  And the same
question with the Q-licensed components.

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml license
@ 2007-07-02 21:22     ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2007-07-02 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Grant Olson wrote:

> Thanks, but I'm asking if I still need to indicate that I'm using LGPL code
> and reproduce the copywrite, or the the generated .exe is considered a
> separate work.  That is, does it link to any of the LGPL code?  And the same
> question with the Q-licensed components.

Have you read this:

    http://caml.inria.fr/pub/old_caml_site/ocaml/LICENSE.html

I think that spells it out pretty thoroughly.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
I hack, therefore I am.