* Buffered input channel
@ 2007-08-02 20:51 Alexandre Pilkiewicz
From: Alexandre Pilkiewicz @ 2007-08-02 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all

I'm currently working on the Harmony project, and I'm looking for a buffered
access to regular files with four "requested" features :
input_char
pos_in
seek_in
can be integrated in a project under GPL

I had a look at the Netstream library, but since it is designed for net
streaming (!), there is no "seek_in" function.

Does anyone know wich library I should give a look at ?

Thank you

Alexandre Pilkiewicz

* Re: [Caml-list] Buffered input channel
@ 2007-08-02 21:09 ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2007-08-02 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Alexandre Pilkiewicz wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm currently working on the Harmony project, and I'm looking for a buffered
> access to regular files with four "requested" features :
> input_char
> pos_in
> seek_in
> can be integrated in a project under GPL

Is there anything wong with open_in, input_char, pos_in, seek_in and
close_in of the Pervasives module?

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"One serious obstacle to the adoption of good programming languages is
the notion that everything has to be sacrificed for speed. In computer
languages as in life, speed kills." -- Mike Vanier

* Re: [Caml-list] Buffered input channel
@ 2007-08-02 21:09 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2007-08-02 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Pilkiewicz, caml-list

Alexandre Pilkiewicz wrote:
> I'm currently working on the Harmony project, and I'm looking for a buffered
> access to regular files with four "requested" features :
> input_char
> pos_in
> seek_in
> can be integrated in a project under GPL
> Does anyone know wich library I should give a look at ?

stdlib.cma? The input and output channels are buffered.

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Buffered input channel
@ 2007-08-02 21:46   ` Alexandre Pilkiewicz
From: Alexandre Pilkiewicz @ 2007-08-02 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thursday 02 August 2007 17:09:22 Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Is there anything wong with open_in, input_char, pos_in, seek_in and
> close_in of the Pervasives module?

Well, I thought the problem was with the buffering, but as Alain made me
realise, the standard input channels are buffered (of size 4096 if I
understand well what I read). The documentation wasn't really clear at this
subject (at least not the description of the Pervasives module), and I had
not enough courage to read the C code of the implementation. I should. So my
very bad performances don't come from there !

Thanks for the very quick answers

Alexandre