* OCam'OLE using MinGW Toolchain
@ 2007-08-20 21:13 David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-08-20 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Just been having a rummage around on the Hump and came across OCaml'OLE - a
glance at the sample code suggests that it wraps COM interfaces quite
elegantly (not as transparently as VB6 did, but somewhere close). The snag
that I've hit is that I use the MinGW version of O'Caml built from source
and don't really want to install the MSVC port alongside... has anyone
managed to build OCaml'OLE using gcc+MinGW and if so do they have a
Makefile? :o)

The prospect of liberating a large application from VB.NET to O'Caml is very
tempting - but I've got to be able to manipulate Word and Excel via their
COM interfaces in order to have any hope!

TIA,

David

PS. I'm aware that F# would be a sensible alternative... but I'm interested
to see if O'Caml could do it too!

* Re: [Caml-list] OCam'OLE using MinGW Toolchain
@ 2007-08-21 18:36 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-08-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Allsopp; +Cc: OCaml List

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:13:38PM +0100, David Allsopp wrote:
> Just been having a rummage around on the Hump and came across OCaml'OLE - a
> glance at the sample code suggests that it wraps COM interfaces quite
> elegantly (not as transparently as VB6 did, but somewhere close). The snag
> that I've hit is that I use the MinGW version of O'Caml built from source
> and don't really want to install the MSVC port alongside... has anyone
> managed to build OCaml'OLE using gcc+MinGW and if so do they have a
> Makefile? :o)

I'm afraid not, but I have done OCaml'OLE with MSVC and that was
pretty easy.

Well, except for a number of bugs in the M$ toolchain, like one where
the linker just didn't bother to link parts of the generated code (I
had to edit down the OLE-generated code by hand to get around that
one...).  So you'll be better off with the MinGW chain probably :-)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat