* ocamlbuild .inferred.mli problem
@ 2007-09-16  2:36 Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2007-09-16  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have been unable to get ocamlbuild to preprocess a single .ml file
when creating an inferred interface file.  Here is some simple code
to illustrate the problem:

test.ml:
value f x = x + 2;

_tags:
<test.ml>: pp(camlp4r)

To build it:
$ ocamlbuild test.cma
  ^^^ This works without issue

$ ocamlbuild test.inferred.mli
 ^^^ This produces the following output/error:
---BEGIN PASTE---
+ /home/hcarty/Applications/godi/bin/ocamlc.opt -i test.ml >
test.inferred.mli
File "test.ml", line 1, characters 0-5:
Unbound value value
Command exited with code 2.
Compilation unsuccessful after building 2 targets (1 cached) in
00:00:00.
---END PASTE---

I have tried various changes with the _tags line, such as:
<test.{ml,mli,inferred.mli}>
and others, but have had no success.

I have also tried creating a myocamlbuild.ml to get around this, but
using something like this in myocamlbuild.ml:

flag ["use_openin"]
  (S [A "-I"; A "+camlp4"; A "-pp"; A "camlp4o pa_openin.cmo"]);;

along with a matching flag in _tags causes havoc, with each of the
items on the list being repeated twice and quoted, leading to shell
errors.

I'm using revised syntax here as a simple example.  I originally ran
in to this issue while trying to build a library which uses the
pa_openin camlp4 extension.

Any suggestions or pointers on how to proceed with this?

Thanks,
Hez

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild .inferred.mli problem
@ 2007-09-17 14:25 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-09-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from Hezekiah M. Carty's message of Sun Sep 16 04:36:23 +0200 2007:
> I have been unable to get ocamlbuild to preprocess a single .ml file
> when creating an inferred interface file.  Here is some simple code
> to illustrate the problem:
>
> test.ml:
> value f x = x + 2;
>
> _tags:
> <test.ml>: pp(camlp4r)

Using pp(...), is not the best way to use preprocessors.

Try the camlp4r tag:

"test.ml": camlp4r

[...]

> I have also tried creating a myocamlbuild.ml to get around this, but
> using something like this in myocamlbuild.ml:
>
> flag ["use_openin"]
>   (S [A "-I"; A "+camlp4"; A "-pp"; A "camlp4o pa_openin.cmo"]);;

You  certainly don't want to add these flags to any commands that treat a file
that  is  tagged  use_openin.  You  certainly  want to add them only for ocaml
preprocessing.

flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"]
     (A"pa_openin.cmo");;

> along with a matching flag in _tags causes havoc, with each of the
> items on the list being repeated twice and quoted, leading to shell
> errors.
>
> I'm using revised syntax here as a simple example.  I originally ran
> in to this issue while trying to build a library which uses the
> pa_openin camlp4 extension.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers on how to proceed with this?

HTH,
--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild .inferred.mli problem
@ 2007-09-17 18:08   ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2007-09-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:

> > I have also tried creating a myocamlbuild.ml to get around this, but
> > using something like this in myocamlbuild.ml:
> >
> > flag ["use_openin"]
> >   (S [A "-I"; A "+camlp4"; A "-pp"; A "camlp4o pa_openin.cmo"]);;
>
> You  certainly don't want to add these flags to any commands that treat a file
> that  is  tagged  use_openin.  You  certainly  want to add them only for ocaml
> preprocessing.
>
> flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"]
>      (A"pa_openin.cmo");;

This gets me a little bit closer I think, but I'm still not able to
make ocamlbuild do what I want.

Here's the current code -
test.ml:
let sum l = open List in fold_left (+) 0 l

_tags:
"test.ml": use_openin

myocamlbuild.ml:
open Ocamlbuild_plugin;;
open Command;;
flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"] (A "pa_openin.cmo");;

Using the above "flag ..." line adds "-pp pa_openin.cmo" to the
compilation command line using the following line in _tags:
"test.ml": use_openin

If I change the _tags line to:
"test.ml": camlp4o, use_openin

the output from ocamlbuild test.cma is:
+ /home/hcarty/Applications/godi/bin/ocamldep.opt -pp 'pa_openin.cmo
camlp4o' -modules test.ml > test.ml.depends
sh: pa_openin.cmo: command not found
Preprocessing error on file test.ml

How do I fix this to properly use a syntax extension such as
pa_openin.cmo and be able to specify the location of the .cmo, but
only for the files which need that specific extension?  ie. add "-I
+camlp4" to the ocaml* command line, and have the -pp value in the
correct order.

I apologize for asking such a basic question, but I haven't been
able to figure out the answer from the user's guide or other
examples I've found.  Once this is all worked out I would be happy
to add this to a wiki somewhere.

@ 2007-09-18 14:49     ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-09-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from Hezekiah M. Carty's message of Mon Sep 17 20:08:49 +0200 2007:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
>
> > > I have also tried creating a myocamlbuild.ml to get around this, but
> > > using something like this in myocamlbuild.ml:
> > >
> > > flag ["use_openin"]
> > >   (S [A "-I"; A "+camlp4"; A "-pp"; A "camlp4o pa_openin.cmo"]);;
> >
> > You  certainly don't want to add these flags to any commands that treat a file
> > that  is  tagged  use_openin.  You  certainly  want to add them only for ocaml
> > preprocessing.
> >
> > flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"]
> >      (A"pa_openin.cmo");;
> >

> This gets me a little bit closer I think, but I'm still not able to
> make ocamlbuild do what I want.
>
> Here's the current code -
> test.ml:
> let sum l = open List in fold_left (+) 0 l

Ok

> _tags:
> "test.ml": use_openin

Your second attempt is good you need the camlp4o tag.

> myocamlbuild.ml:
> open Ocamlbuild_plugin;;
> open Command;;
> flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"] (A "pa_openin.cmo");;

You absolutely need to wrap this flag declaration to avoid order of initialization problems (see below).

> Using the above "flag ..." line adds "-pp pa_openin.cmo" to the
> compilation command line using the following line in _tags:
> "test.ml": use_openin
>
> If I change the _tags line to:
> "test.ml": camlp4o, use_openin

Ok

> the output from ocamlbuild test.cma is:
> + /home/hcarty/Applications/godi/bin/ocamldep.opt -pp 'pa_openin.cmo
> camlp4o' -modules test.ml > test.ml.depends
> sh: pa_openin.cmo: command not found
> Preprocessing error on file test.ml

That's due to the order of initialization.

> How do I fix this to properly use a syntax extension such as
> pa_openin.cmo and be able to specify the location of the .cmo, but
> only for the files which need that specific extension?  ie. add "-I
> +camlp4" to the ocaml* command line, and have the -pp value in the
> correct order.

$ cat myocamlbuild.ml
open Ocamlbuild_plugin;;
open Command;;
dispatch begin function
| After_rules ->
    flag ["ocaml"; "pp"; "use_openin"] (A"pa_openin.cmo");
    dep ["ocaml"; "ocamldep"; "use_openin"] ["pa_openin.cmo"];
| _ -> ()
end;;

> I apologize for asking such a basic question, but I haven't been
> able to figure out the answer from the user's guide or other
> examples I've found.  Once this is all worked out I would be happy
> to add this to a wiki somewhere.

Yes you're right!

I've quickly added a page on that:

http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Ocamlbuild