* Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15 16:42 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2007-10-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This thread was quite derailed... should I then assume there's very
little interest in such a book?

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15 17:30 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-10-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 15 October 2007 17:42:39 Jeff Shaw wrote:
> This thread was quite derailed... should I then assume there's very
> little interest in such a book?

I think there would be far more interest in an introductory book on OCaml
published as cheaply as possible through someone like O'Reilly, that includes
a chapter on GUI programming. Or a IDE that makes it as easy as possible to
get started with OCaml that might be written using Tk.

Just my 2p...

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-17  0:36   ` Matt Gushee
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-10-17  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2007 17:42:39 Jeff Shaw wrote:
>> This thread was quite derailed... should I then assume there's very
>> little interest in such a book?
>
> I think there would be far more interest in an introductory book on OCaml
> published as cheaply as possible through someone like O'Reilly, that includes
> a chapter on GUI programming. Or a IDE that makes it as easy as possible to
> get started with OCaml that might be written using Tk.

Could be ... some time ago (2 years, maybe?) I proposed the idea of (me)
writing a book on LablTk; there was very little response, favorable or
otherwise, but at least one person thought it would be nice to have a
book on GUI programming in OCaml, perhaps including LablTk but with
greater emphasis on LablGTK. Even if I had agreed with the idea, at that
time I had little experience with (Labl)GTK. But I don't agree with the
idea: you could write a book about GUI *design*, but that should be
neither toolkit-specific nor language-specific. On the other hand, a
book about GUI programming techniques in a specific language will
probably appeal mainly to people with specific projects in mind, which
implies that they probably want to learn one good GUI toolkit ... which
in the case of OCaml would have to be LablGTK.

I realize Tk is progressing and making some much-wanted improvements,
but to me it seems like too little, too late.

As for Jon's idea, sure, great! But I wonder if any major publisher
would take it on. After all, O'Reilly *has* an introductory OCaml book;
it would need to be updated and translated, but that's still much easier
than creating a new one. Yet they don't seem interested in doing that.
So some brave soul might have to self-publish something.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-17  2:33     ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2007-10-17  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 18:36 -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:

> As for Jon's idea, sure, great! But I wonder if any major publisher
> would take it on. After all, O'Reilly *has* an introductory OCaml book;
> it would need to be updated and translated, but that's still much easier
> than creating a new one. Yet they don't seem interested in doing that.
> So some brave soul might have to self-publish something.

Well, Jon already has published something. I think the days
of paper publishers struggling to get ANY content at all are over.
Large numbers of well respected mathematics titles are now permanently
out of print. Despite the fact that printing is now extremely cheap,
publishing is all about marketing and large scale sales: that's
where the main costs are.

For any kind of title with a small market, distributing paper
via major channels just isn't worth it.

Jon has done this the right way. If I were to write an Ocaml
book now I'd be asking Jon to publish it.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-18  3:18     ` Dave Benjamin
From: Dave Benjamin @ 2007-10-18  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee; +Cc: caml-list

Matt Gushee wrote:
> I realize Tk is progressing and making some much-wanted improvements,
> but to me it seems like too little, too late.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but having just produced a GTK
application that I could not, within reason, port to Mac OS X, I think
Tk still has a slight edge when it comes to portability. I do hope that
GTK support on Mac improves; I love lablgtk2.

Dave

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-18  4:17       ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-10-18  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 03:33:15 skaller wrote:
> Jon has done this the right way. If I were to write an Ocaml
> book now I'd be asking Jon to publish it.

We are certainly interested in publishing books on functional programming.
However, we could not turn a profit if the final cost was significantly lower
than that of OCaml for Scientists.

Wiley are publishing F# for Scientists and they made it clear from the outset
that they are interested in OCaml books. They even proposed that I write a
second edition of OCaml for Scientists and publish it through them.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-18  4:19     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-10-18  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 01:36:34 Matt Gushee wrote:
> Could be ... some time ago (2 years, maybe?) I proposed the idea of (me)
> writing a book on LablTk; there was very little response, favorable or
> otherwise, but at least one person thought it would be nice to have a
> book on GUI programming in OCaml, perhaps including LablTk but with
> greater emphasis on LablGTK. Even if I had agreed with the idea, at that
> time I had little experience with (Labl)GTK. But I don't agree with the
> idea: you could write a book about GUI *design*, but that should be
> neither toolkit-specific nor language-specific. On the other hand, a
> book about GUI programming techniques in a specific language will
> probably appeal mainly to people with specific projects in mind, which
> implies that they probably want to learn one good GUI toolkit ... which
> in the case of OCaml would have to be LablGTK.

I'll write OCaml Journal articles covering GUI programming using LablGTK.
There is already one very nice example in there (Sudoku solver) but there's
plenty of scope for more complicated applications with more widgets,
threading and so forth.

> I realize Tk is progressing and making some much-wanted improvements,
> but to me it seems like too little, too late.

I certainly get that feeling but I'm not a Tk man myself.

> As for Jon's idea, sure, great! But I wonder if any major publisher
> would take it on. After all, O'Reilly *has* an introductory OCaml book;
> it would need to be updated and translated, but that's still much easier
> than creating a new one. Yet they don't seem interested in doing that.
> So some brave soul might have to self-publish something.

Actually, I was reading a blog entry recently where someone from O'Reilly
explicitly stated that they are interested in publishing more books on OCaml.
You could easily strip out any deprecated stuff from their current
(unpublished) book and publish it. I would certainly buy a copy...

With the current uptake of OCaml in industry (and the productization of F#), I
think there will be ample market for OCaml teaching material, including
books.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  8:19     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-10-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 15 October 2007 09:01:45 Christoph Bauer wrote:
> > > Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets.
> >
> > Good idea, I suppose. But what does "native widgets" mean for
> > *nix systems--GTK?
>
> tile adds theme support to Tk. Screenshoots are under
> http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/.

Assuming the vast majority of Unix users will be using either Gnome or KDE,
that is a non-native look for Unix. In fact, "Classic" looks like RISC OS to
me, and "Revitalized" looks like old Windows.

I must confess I don't understand the idea of tweaking pixellated widget
toolkits when everyone else just moved on to hardware-accelerated vector
graphics with integrated 3D. Especially when the fastest renderer available
is written in OCaml, free and cross platform... :-)

* RE: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  8:01   ` Christoph Bauer
From: Christoph Bauer @ 2007-10-15  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee, caml-list

> > Tk 8.5 will make extensive use of native widgets.
>
> Good idea, I suppose. But what does "native widgets" mean for
> *nix systems--GTK?

tile adds theme support to Tk. Screenshoots are under
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/.
Under Windows the drawing is done via an X emulation layer.

Christoph Bauer

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: A labltk book?
@ 2007-10-15  1:42 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-10-15  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)