* 2D graphing and charting
@ 2007-11-08  3:53 Jon Harrop
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-11-08  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
tracer language comparison:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html

What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?

* Re: [Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting
@ 2007-11-08  4:15 ` Till Varoquaux
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2007-11-08  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

There is an interface to gnuplot. I've never tried it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocaml-gnuplot/

Cheers,
Till
On Nov 7, 2007 10:53 PM, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> tracer language comparison:
>
>   http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?e

http://till-varoquaux.blogspot.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting
@ 2007-11-08 16:05 ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2007-11-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I forgot to reply to the list, and to mention PsiLab

On 11/7/07, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> tracer language comparison:
>
>   http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?e

There is at least one partial plplot (http://plplot.sourceforge.net/)
binding already in existence
(http://vityok.org.ua/cgi-bin/odd.cgi/Ocaml-plplot), and I'm working
on another one using camlidl rather than Swig.

I haven't put my code out yet because I'd like to finish up some of
the 3D plotting function wrappers first, but if you're interested in
having something sooner I could put out what I have currently.  There
is enough there to do 2D plots, and the naming follows the C-library
quite closely.

The already-mentioned gnuplot binding seems to work reasonably as
well, though I've only made very basic 2D plots with it.

PsiLab (http://psilab.sourceforge.net/) is older, and based on OCaml
3.01 or 3.02 I think.  But I've been able to get it to build on recent
Linux distributions.  It has a fairly high-level binding to the plplot
libraries which is quite easy to use.  I have dreams of some day
updating it to work with recent OCaml releases.  It might also be a
decent start for a Mathematica-like toplevel with inline plots and so
on if the toplevel customizations could be tied in to labltk or
lablgtk.  I don't know how possible this is though.

Hez

* Re: [Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting
@ 2007-11-09  1:44 ` Peng Zang
From: Peng Zang @ 2007-11-09  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting
@ 2007-11-09  6:36   ` Paul Pelzl
From: Paul Pelzl @ 2007-11-09  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:44:35PM -0500, Peng Zang wrote:
> I've used mlgrace in the past:
>
>   http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/mlgrace/
>
> Although I've never tried labelled points before...

mlGrace does not currently expose an API to create point labels, but the
xmgrace GUI can do this (under Plot->Set Appearance->Ann. values).  So
something similar to Jon's example plot could be generated using
grace_view#plot_many, with a small amount of touch-up work from the GUI.

Paul

* Re: [Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-11-10 13:22 ` Vu Ngoc San
From: Vu Ngoc San @ 2007-11-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le Thursday 08 November 2007 04:53:37 Jon Harrop, vous avez écrit :
> I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> tracer language comparison:
>
>   http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?

I'd love to say: just write the following code, which produces the file
http://perso.univ-rennes1.fr/san.vu-ngoc/images/oplot.eps

But I can't, since I don't have any time to release "oplot" seriously before
at least 6 months. So, sorry for the spam, I just couldn't resist :)

San

open Oplot;;
open Oplotmain;;
open Renderinit;;

let dots () = let rec loop n l = if n = 0 then l else
  loop (n-1) ((Random.float 1., Random.float 1.)::l) in
  loop 50 [];;

let view = view 0. 0. 1. 1.;;

let a = axis 0. 0.;;

let dots_bla = List.rev_map (fun (x,y) -> (x,y,"blabla")) (dots ());;
let dots_foo = List.rev_map (fun (x,y) -> (x,y,"foofoo")) (dots ());;

let d1 = label_dot_plot ~dot:diamond ~view dots_bla;;
let d2 = label_dot_plot ~dot:diamond ~view dots_foo;;

display ([Color black;view;a;Color red] & d1 & [Color blue] & d2) ~dev:gv;;