* restricting and hiding record fields for functors
@ 2008-01-04  8:24 Jeff Shaw
From: Jeff Shaw @ 2008-01-04  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello. I searched through the Google archives of this list, so I
apologize if I missed something relevant.

I'm working on a project that uses record types, perhaps

module type Cordinate = sig
  type ordinate
  type point2d = {x : ordinate; y : ordinate;}

  val distance : point2d -> float
end

Now I have a functor over modules that match the signature Coordinate,
but I want to allow the modules given to the functor to have things in
the record "point2d" besides just x and y. It seems the types in this
case are really clear and there shouldn't be any ambiguity (but I'm no
expert).

As it is now, to use such records I have to entirely hide their contents
so that the type checker doesn't complain when "point2d" contains extra
fields. In addition, any fields I need access to in the functor will
have an associated function for setting and getting the values. For
instance,

module type Cordinate1 = sig
  type ordinate
  type point2d
  val setx : ordinal -> point2d -> point2d
  val sety : ordinal -> point2d -> point2d
  val makepoint : ordinal -> ordinal -> point2d
  val getx : point2d -> ordinate
  val gety : point2d -> ordinate
  val getpoint : point2d -> ordinate * ordinate

  val distance : point2d -> float
end

This is really quite ugly. I would rather be able to have x and y in the
signature and get rid of get/set functions. But then you can't have
extra fields. You can't, for instance, hide them via a signature.

Or perhaps I'm missing some simple technique? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: [Caml-list] restricting and hiding record fields for functors
@ 2008-01-04 10:09 ` Keiko Nakata
From: Keiko Nakata @ 2008-01-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shawjef3; +Cc: caml-list

Hello.

Maybe private row types are useful to you;
see the Language extensions section of the OCaml manual:
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual021.html

You can do something like this:

  module M = struct
    type t = < x:int; y:int>
    let r = object method x = 1 method y = 2 end
  end;;

  module F(X:sig type t = private <x:int; ..> val r: t end) =
    struct  let x = X.r#x  end;;

  module FM = F(M);;
  let x = FM.x;;

I often prefer to use a syntax extension,
found at http://www.math.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/code/ocaml.html,
which allows me to write

  let r = {| x = 1 method y = 2 |}

instead of

  let r = object method x = 1 method y = 2 end

With best regards,
Keiko