* OCaml on the BSD port system
@ 2008-01-20 17:13 ivan chollet
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ivan chollet @ 2008-01-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I would like to point out that OCaml is not updated on a regular basis in
the FreeBSD port system. It seems like the maintainer is not maintaining it
anymore. Does someone have any plan about updating the port? It would be
good to use 3.10 on Gentoo, FreeBSD, Darwin,. don't know how many users are
really concerned about this though.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on the BSD port system
@ 2008-01-20 17:20 ` Ralph Douglass
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2008-01-20 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan chollet; +Cc: caml-list

I always install ocaml on Darwin and FreeBSD via godi (
http://godi.ocaml-programming.de/).  You might want to look into that.

On 1/20/08, ivan chollet <ivan.chollet@laposte.net> wrote:

>  I would like to point out that OCaml is not updated on a regular basis in
> the FreeBSD port system. It seems like the maintainer is not maintaining it
> anymore. Does someone have any plan about updating the port? It would be
> good to use 3.10 on Gentoo, FreeBSD, Darwin,… don't know how many users
> are really concerned about this though.

Ralph

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on the BSD port system
@ 2008-01-21  8:59 ` Michaël Le Barbier
From: Michaël Le Barbier @ 2008-01-21  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan chollet; +Cc: caml-list

"ivan chollet" <ivan.chollet@laposte.net> writes:

> I would like to point out that OCaml is not updated on a regular basis in
> the FreeBSD port system. It seems like the maintainer is not maintaining
> it anymore. Does someone have any plan about updating the port? It would
> be good to use 3.10 on Gentoo, FreeBSD, Darwin,... don't know how many
> users are really concerned about this though.

Hi,

I am also an happy FreeBSD+OCaml and user. I have recently worked on some
OCaml related stuff, and tried to reach the OCaml port maintainer for
some reason. He did not answer at all; maybe will you have better
luck than I had.

In case he is now too busy to maintain OCaml, someone should take the
things up ... I am interested in this, however I will not do it now
because I am graduating, and you know ... :)

I have a very small experience in porting software for FreeBSD, for
common software, this is a fairly straightforward task, explained in
the Porter's Handbook. Porting OCaml could be more complicated, since:

 1 OCaml provides an interface to the Unix system, to Berkeley
   databases and threads, and there may be some differences between
   FreeBSD and Linuses in these areas;

 2 special provision could be needed in order to deal with shared
   libraries that other ports may install.

For 1, it could be sufficient to reuse work of the previous porter;
I have zero-knowledge regarding 2 but people that worked on it in
Debian (Stefano Zacchiroli et al.) may give a word of advise here.
--
Happy hacking,
Michaël LB

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on the BSD port system
@ 2008-01-21  9:07 ` Jaap Boender
From: Jaap Boender @ 2008-01-21  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sunday 20 January 2008 18:13:33 ivan chollet wrote:
> I would like to point out that OCaml is not updated on a regular basis in
> the FreeBSD port system. It seems like the maintainer is not maintaining it
> anymore. Does someone have any plan about updating the port? It would be
> good to use 3.10 on Gentoo, FreeBSD, Darwin,. don't know how many users are
> really concerned about this though.

I've just packaged 3.10.1 for FreeBSD a few days ago. The package still has to
be tested and submitted, though, so it could be some time before it shows up
in the main ports distribution...But rest assured, somebody is looking at
it...

  Jaap
--
Université Paris VII, laboratoire PPS
Bureau 5C01, tél. 01 44 27 85 04

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on the BSD port system
@ 2008-01-22 17:51   ` Michaël Le Barbier
From: Michaël Le Barbier @ 2008-01-22 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaap Boender; +Cc: caml-list

Jaap Boender <Jaap.Boender@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> On Sunday 20 January 2008 18:13:33 ivan chollet wrote:
>> I would like to point out that OCaml is not updated on a regular basis in
>> the FreeBSD port system. It seems like the maintainer is not maintaining it
>> anymore. Does someone have any plan about updating the port? It would be
>> good to use 3.10 on Gentoo, FreeBSD, Darwin,. don't know how many users are
>> really concerned about this though.
>
> I've just packaged 3.10.1 for FreeBSD a few days ago. The package
> still has to  be tested and submitted, though, so it could be some
> time before it shows up  in the main ports distribution...But rest
> assured, somebody is looking at it...

That's nice to read this!
--
Cordialement,